SGA Elections!

Kiersten Warren, Student Life Editor

Attention PPCHS students, SGA elections are here! It’s that time of year again! If you’re interested in representing the student body of the 2020-21 school year, consider running for office in the annual SGA elections. There’s a mandatory campaign meeting on Thursday, February 21 in Mr. Curry’s room at 2:10 PM. If students don’t attend this meeting, they cannot run for office and are ineligible. 

The offices up for grabs include: President, Vice President, Recording Secretary, Corresponding Secretary, Treasurer, and Historian. Each office has its distinct responsibilities and requirements to run. For example, the SGA President must be an incoming senior and a member of the SGA/Leadership class already, but all other positions do not have those requirements. However, if elected, all other officers are expected to join the leadership class the year of their term. 

In case some  may be confused, the SGA election meeting is not the same as the Leadership class interest meeting, which takes place within the next 2 months, held by the new elected President and Vice President of Student Government Association. The current 2019-2020 treasurer, Nicole Munar, says, “Running for office for me was really nice, because I ran unopposed. It’s really exciting to be treasurer, but it’s a big responsibility. I wasn’t in the class last year, but I got in since I got elected last year. It’s the best decision I’ve ever made.” Running for SGA office is arguably one of the biggest commitments you can voluntarily sign up for, and campaigns aren’t always easy. However, big risk comes big reward, and being an SGA officer is no different.