Future Hall of Famers Go Head to Head

Opinion

Marko Barrera and Adam Abougendia

After years of absence from the music scene, Kanye West and Drake made their long-awaited returns, dropping new albums in the same week. Students all across the campus wasted no time streaming all 48 songs and adding them to their own playlists. Similar to the past few stories on the CHAT about music, Student Life Editor Marko Barrera and Sports Editor Adam Abougendia chose to attack these drops head-on and, with no surprise, gave their takes. So without further ado, the CHAT is back with another music review.

If anyone is a fan of the rap game, then the name “Kanye West” is definitely a familiar one. He is a living legend in this industry, continuing his dominance over the past decade and a half. After two years of focusing on the success of his fashion partnership with Adidas, “Ye” himself made his comeback and did not disappoint. “Donda,” referencing the name of his late mother, holds 27 songs with barely any skips. Whenever Kanye is in the studio, it really seems as if everything he does is beautiful. Every single song on this album is a musical masterpiece, including a variety of flows and sounds that don’t sound like they go together at first, but surprisingly work so well. Yeezy was able to collect a star-studded feature list, including Playboi Carti and Fivio Foreign on track 4, Off The Grid, as well as Praise God, which features Baby Keem and Travis Scott. It is safe to say that Kanye did not disappoint his fans in his return and did leave fans wanting much more. 

Speaking of household names, Drake’s name has to be among the highest on the list. His discography has been elite since way back in 2009. Stemming from his roots, the 6 god released his most anticipated album, Certified Lover Boy on September 3rd. “CLB” has a total track count of 21 songs, none of which being skips. Drake was in his rap bag with songs such as; Champagne Poetry, 7am on Bridle Path, and Fair Trade. Drizzy also shows off his versatility with songs like, Get Along Better featuring Ty Dolla $ign, Love all which features Jay-z, and Race My Mind. With features such as Travis Scott, Giveon, Rick Ross, and Lil Wayne to round out the tracklist, guess you can say Certified Lover Boy is a certified rap classic. 

Nonetheless, the natural competition was in the air, mostly because they released their respective albums so close to each other. Some students may say that Certified Lover Boy was better, while others might prefer the other. Either way, fans can mutually agree that Drake and Kanye once again blessed fans with yet another project full of bangers. This doesn’t come as a surprise, however. This is behavior expected from legends in a league of their own. These hall of farmers don’t look to bottom out, especially being at the top of their game.