Photos By Lisset

Teens Against Obesity: Empowering the youth for a healthier tomorrow

Rebekah Barrera

Healthy mind, healthy body. Healthy body, healthy mind.

The two go hand in hand, one not being able to survive without the other.

In a world where social media has a continuous, if not increasing, influence on the minds of the youth, we constantly preach taking mental health seriously. What may be overlooked amidst recent surges of mental health campaigns, on the other hand, is the fact that physical health holds just as much importance. With the constant advancement of technology and development of goods and services that make life admittedly less difficult, humans can easily fall victim to inactive lives—and it’s just as easy to think there’s nothing wrong with it.

As obesity continues to become more common in the U.S., it’s relevant now more than ever to analyze what kind of life we live, how healthy we can be, and work towards making change accordingly. We at Teens Against Obesity aim to positively encourage other kids to do the same, providing a support system for those hoping to achieve and maintain a healthy weight.

Why the youth?

The rise of obesity throughout the U.S. is followed by an increase in child obesity in recent years, making out 19.7% of the country’s young population to be obese. In Florida alone, one out of every three kids are now considered overweight or obese (compared to one out of every five kids in America as a whole). With proper practice, teens can develop healthy lifestyles to prevent or treat obesity and the health risks that come with it.

However, it’s important to note that obesity stems from multiple areas apart from lifestyle: genetics, sleeping habits, medical illnesses, living conditions, and so much more. Still, some of the easiest ways we can address the problem from a young age lies in our exercise and diets.

From running Boosterthon Fun Runs and competing in elementary field days to growing into balanced meals and creating a proper gym routine, food and movement are parts of our everyday lives that we can manipulate to fit our needs. While the definition of what a physically healthy body is changes from person to person and weight to weight (e.g. cutting and bulking), the general idea is to consistently eat a balanced diet (consuming items from all food groups) and stay active in any form (walking, jogging, dancing, sports, etc.).

Without such practices, children with obesity are at risk for many health issues: diabetes, bone and joint problems, heart disease, depression, fertility problems, asthma, and over 60 others.

Thus, we’ve created a realistic yet high-striving goal to raise awareness over teen obesity, empowering not only our own selves, but those around us to live healthy lives and end the obesity challenge. 

Join us in the fight against teen obesity! Support the cause by following our social media accounts (found here) and spreading the word.

Photos By Lisset