Sweet Treats by Julie

Senior presidents bring love to their clubs for one last time

Audrey Goetz

Annual school events such as bake sales are not possible without the help from the diverse clubs at Charter. These clubs have made strangers into friends, brought awareness to their causes, created new hobbies for students, and so much more. 

However, the success of these clubs wouldn’t be possible without many people, one of whom is the president. These leaders were able to assist their members throughout their events so they were able to gain the best outcome. Even though these seniors will pass down their positions to the current juniors, their mark will remain in many ways. 

Now, some of the Class of ‘24’s club presidents wanted to express their gratitude towards the opportunities they were given and provide guidance for any future members of the respective clubs:

SNHS (Science National Honor Society): Their president, Valerie Glen, was a member of SNHS for 3 years. She even “wanted to be a part of the process to decide events and do bigger things within the club.” Following the motto “go big or go home” led Glen to planning numerous events, such as the Science Scavenger Hunt and multiple professional lectures. Glen also added in other events like the Everglades Champions Project “to incentivize and empower schools to find their Everglades potential by focusing on curriculum, projects, and practices that become a part of their school culture.” Passing down her responsibilities to the next SNHS president, Glen advises to give the club an even larger name. By doing this, it would “help others in all areas of STEM,” and also allows SNHS to be known beyond the school grounds.

NAHS (National Art Honor Society): The art society first began when she was a freshman, and four years later Samira Butler became president of the club. Butler felt the need to join because she simply enjoyed art. When attending the interest meeting, Butler felt safe in her environment as it was filled with students who also wanted to spread awareness to a crucial cause. Over time, the talented board of NAHS became people who Butler admired. Using their experience as guidance; “I was proud to have made it on the board.” No matter what positions she had, Butler always contributed through her conjuring ideas for new events and helped get them approved for action. Although her time is over Butler advises for the board to remain “close with communication [with one another] and your sponsor.”

Village Mentors: Being the president for the last two years, Hana Bushra helped bring a hefty amount of fundraising to the club. Not only did it increase their donation amount during events, but it also raised money for poorer countries. Afterall, village mentors are high school students that help the less fortunate students. With Bushra leading, they were “able to double [their] membership and enhance the fundraising aspect of the club.” Bushra hopes for the number of members to continue to increase in the club and for the fundraising goal to be set to a higher amount: “Next year, I hope Village Mentions doubles the amount of money we raised this year.” Bushra having a lot of confidence in the growth of the club can not only help the club gain more books and resources but also allows these items to be donated to a variety of underprivileged countries. Since Bushra believes that teamwork is important, she also conveys that “this not only creates a positive environment but also maximizes the impact of Village Mentors’ efforts in mentoring and fundraising.” 

Many other senior club presidents have made large contributions to their club, and all will be missed for their dedication towards their club. Each senior club president has high hopes for their new board as they will exceed the expectations and bring even more into the club. Next school year already has a lot in store as the new presidents await for their time to shine in the clubs they adore. 

Sweet Treats by Julie