Gabriella Koch’s passion on the ice: Skating journey

Nothing beats the feeling of finally completing a routine in a competition you’ve been working so hard on. Finally taking a breath and smiling with relief knowing all the pressure is gone. Figure Skating has been a burning passion of mine since I was seven years old. Since then, I’ve always found comfort in the sport; even through my highs and lows, I never give up on it. Some moves take longer than others to perfect, but that doesn’t stop me. If there is one thing I’ve learned in the seven years of playing this sport, it’s that you should never give up on your passion, even if it takes longer than expected.

I began my figure skating journey in 2016, and eight-year-old me was completely unaware of the impact that it would have on my life. Figure skating has given me the self-confidence I didn’t know I needed. My failures help me work even harder to improve, although it hasn’t always been easy for me to get up; but this sport has shown me the importance of perseverance. It is a challenge, but the harder I work, the closer I get to achieving my goal. 

There have been many prominent milestones that I’ve reached during my skating journey. On June 26, 2020, I landed my first double-toe-loop, after practicing for three days. On June 30, 2020, I landed my first double-salchow, which I had been working on for almost a year. These important moments are what motivate me to keep trying my hardest. I feel so relieved and uplifted every time I land something new; for instance: my cantilever, which is a long deep edge where you bend both your knees and back while maintaining perfect balance. I learned this trick solely by watching videos, so it was a tough two month journey, which consisted of me getting soaked the countless times I fell. Now, I can perform this trick without even thinking, and all of my hard work finally paid off.

Skating has also given me the extraordinary opportunity to travel and compete in international competitions. For example, my last big competition was in Arena Ice Brasil in São Paulo, Brazil, where I was able to compete against other great skaters. I knew all my efforts were worth it when I won 1st place! 

As I continue to grow and prosper in this sport, I get to experience the most fulfilling feeling of finishing my routines and hearing the cheers and applause from the audience. This passion that I plan to keep pursuing has brought me the biggest joy I could ask. As I glide my way through the ice, I look back on all of my accomplishments and hardships, but I also remember the love and passion I have for this sport that has changed my life for the better.