Kisha Williams / Elite Realty

Sleeping beautiful in a new form of (unwearable) fashion

Madeline Albear

The 2024 Met Gala theme is “Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening Fashion,” but it has nothing to do with Disney princesses. With its extravagant looks and iconic red carpet moments, the annual highly anticipated event will take a bold step towards sustainability as well as avant-garde fashion. The exhibit will showcase delicate historical garments that are too fragile to be worn, presenting them as “sleeping beauties” in coffin-like glass displays. Pieces featured will include designs by Elsa Schiaparelli, Yves Saint Laurent, Christian Dior, and Hubert de Givenchy. 

Celebrities attending the event will have to interpret this theme on the red carpet, a challenge considering the garments are unwearable. This limitation opens up opportunities for celebrities to showcase their creativity and abilities to innovate. Although, personally, I believe most celebrities will not grasp this complex theme. Hopefully the event next year not only serves as a celebration of fashion, but also as a reminder of the importance of preserving and reimagining the artistry of the past.