Kisha Williams / Elite Realty

Charter’s Player of the Week: Keidran Willis Jr.

Donated by: Gabriela Martinez

“Just seeing what I can accomplish so far and knowing that I could do even better than what I’m doing now, it’s been really eye opening.” Big accomplishments made so far from Charter’s rising star Keidran (KJ) Willis Jr. after winning both SBLives offensive and defensive player of the week. Being a part of the varsity team for 4 years now, Willis believes it’s his time to shine. 

“This award is huge for me because this year I am able to step up and take on the role of being a lead player”, he says, leading the Jaguars in receiving yards, rushing yards, and even total touchdowns in a game just this season. Realizing early on in his life that football is something serious to him and could have great potential for his future, Willis decided he wanted to pursue being a 2-way player. “I am able to make an impact on both sides of the ball and that’s incredible to me.” 

The week of August 31st, KJ won by over 8,000 votes against top players from schools like Chaminade, Madonna, and North Broward Prep. He received the ‘Defensive Player of the Week’ award with 10 tackles, 300 all purpose yards, 1 returning and receiving touchdown in Charter’s tight 24-22 home win over Coral Springs Charter. Football has always been one of the most important parts of KJ’s life, as he expresses his love for the sport he’s always known, “There’s just something about it. Being able to play, score touchdowns, make a big tackle or play it’s really fun and just a feeling you can’t describe; just experiencing it.”

Just the following week of September 7, Willis won ‘Offensive Player of the Week’. Still going up against highly-ranked schools, he managed to secure the title with over 2,000 votes. Coming up on top once again with 105 yards rushing, 4 catches for 59 yards, all adding up to 164 all purpose yards. 

Being all over the field, KJ truly does make an impact, but he doesn’t take all the credit. Believing in his teammates and watching as they’ve improved while putting the time and effort into being the best football team in this school’s history has made the biggest impact on his football career. “We’ve fought through trials and tribulations; this team has a lot of heart more than I’ve ever seen in a charter team. I know we could do a lot and prove to everyone how high the football standard should be.” With this being said from their captain, KJ Willis, the Pines Charter Jaguars are having the longest winning streak in school history. 

The mentality of KJ and the rest of his team in this year’s football season truly has something to prove not only for Pines Charter, but for all of Broward County.

View Comments (4)