BJs Restaurant

Shining light on a season to remember

Although the sun set on the Boys Varsity Soccer season, it rose once again to shine light on the players that contributed heavily to Charter’s authoritative season, district championship, and  their state championship run.

The boys ended the season with a winning record of 13-4-1, at one point going on a six game winning streak, which built tons of momentum going into the playoffs. With crucial wins against Mourning Senior High, and longtime Charter rivals-Archbishop McCarthy (Mavericks)- the Jaguars took home the title of  Florida Class 5A district champions adding to the now nine year streak. This was only the beginning of what they were looking to achieve throughout the remainder of the season.

The Sun Sentinel definitely seems to agree, as multiple Jaguars were recognized for their contribution to the team. Senior defender, Carlos Dos Santos; along with goalkeeper, Massimo Lopez-Malo were both selected for the Class 1A-5A first team. This acknowledged both as one of the top high school  soccer players in South Florida.

Carlos, as team captain of the defense, played a significant role in leading the team to nine shutouts, and an 8-0 home game record. “When you work hard the amount of time that you put into a sport will show up. I’m just proud of how great of a season it was, especially with us being the second team in Charter to make it to states.” 

Furthermore, Massimo was also a major factor in the success of the season as he would post nine shutouts; only allowing 12 goals over the course of 16 games; and be named man of the match in the Jags state-semi final match-up. He passionately stated about his recent successes that “Obviously being an all county player means a lot to me but I hope that my coaches and teammates realize that me being honored is them being honored as well. We win as a team and lose as a team and I can only thank the program that put me in that position to succeed.”

Leading Jaguars from the sideline , coach Marc Lue Young, was named 2024 winter All County 5A-2A boys soccer coach of the year. Young expressed his pride in what Charter soccer accomplished this year in an interview with the Sun Sentinel. “ I’m most proud of our consistency, the determination and grit from the team… The team met expectations and more , although we fell short of our goal to make it to the state finals and have an opportunity in the big game, I am very proud of the team.”

Definitely deserved the title of coach of the year for the impact he has had on his players, and the drive he infuses into his players. Massimo had a few words to say about his coaching expressing, “ Me being honored on the all-county team is a tribute to the hunger my coaches have instilled in me and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to repay what they’ve done for me.”

Along with honorable mentions of seniors  Shiloh Corbie, Mathew Blackwood, and Rafael de Almeida it’s safe to say that the boys definitely represented Charter to the best of their ability. They’ve made a name for themselves as well as built onto the legacy of  Jaguar soccer. Let’s just hope the momentum continues to build through next year and the years to follow, because if it does the Jags could be securing a state championship in the near future.

BJs Restaurant