Amid recent lottery victories: What would you do if you won the lottery?

Marcus Deane

It isn’t often your parents burst into your room with frantic looks on their faces, their clothes damp from a brown spill on their clothes. In one hand you see an empty coffee cup and in the other six winning numbers of a Florida Lottery Mega Millions ticket. You’ve never risen faster from your bed…until you realize you’ve hit the snooze button one too many times. 

Recently, many Floridans have been entering a Publix or a 7-Eleven with five, ten, fifteen dollars, and leaving with a million. Just two days ago, a Florida man won $1 million after playing a scratch-off at Publix.

But to be that lucky is extremely rare.

Way too often do we hear that the odds of getting struck by lightning is greater than winning the lottery. And while that is true, the odds of losing the lottery beats both of those by a longshot. But what if you weren’t dreaming, what if—when the time comes—you do win a million dollars, or more?

“First, I would pay for my college education and flight training. I’m going to go to a structured school and get my associates degree for engineering online so I can get my degree in flying. Then, I’d start investing and donate to some programs at the school.” -Alexio Hendfield, Senior

“Makeup, LuluLemon clothes, and a LuluLemon backpack, again.” -Madeline Santos, Freshman

“Two houses in Dubai!” -Gabriela Salazar, Freshman

“I’d buy my mom a house in a nice community she likes, like in Towngate. And I’d pay her bills.” -Zahid Mondol, Freshman

“I would invest half of it into stocks, and the other half I would use to pay off my family’s debts.” -Jonathan Alonzo, Sophomore

“A house! A mansion! Actually, an island all for myself.” -Shivraj Singh, Senior

“Probably unlimited boxes of chocolate milk.” -Gavin Poore, Senior

“I would give it to Mr. Quigley!” -Emily Brown, Senior

“A house for myself. They’re pretty expensive nowadays, and harder to get I think.” -Emily Arica, Junior

“Get a sailboat because pirates are cool.” -Tyler Parsons, Sophomore

“I would invest in Airbnbs so the money keeps flowing in.” -Giada Porven, Sophomore

“I’d invest in some stocks and buy a better house. Or I’d fly myself to LA and get Steph Curry to train me in basketball.” -Isabella Abohasen, Sophomore

“If I won a million dollars today, I’d buy the school. Because then, it’s my school!” -Isaiah Estrada, Freshman?