Acing it to the top: Sophomore spotlight Abigail Reynolds

Donated by: Abigail Reynolds

As she watches the stands fill up more and more, Abigail Reynolds is ready to make her mark for the first time on the Pines Charter girls volleyball varsity team. For the future sets to come, the biggest concern is to play her best and showcase her talent. But, what she doesn’t know is that she will set the tone for the season with her and her team’s win. 

Walking into the Charter gym for the first time in the Varsity uniform, Reynolds sets her mind to showing the filled stands what she can bring. Known for playing middle blocker and outside hitter last year in JV, she made her mark on the starting team for the first Varsity game of the season. With intense hits and preciseness, Abi fiercely led her team to a win in their home court with the score of  3-0. Standing at 5 ‘9, she slammed the ball onto the opposing side sparking questions of “Who is she?” without knowing this is her first year playing on Varsity.

After hearing about all the buzz and excitement regarding her performance, Abi is confident in herself and her team’s future plays. Honestly, I hope that I can stay consistent in what I do and not let everyone get to my head or pressure me to play well. I just want to play my game and trust my abilities so hopefully the season will keep going good!” explains sophomore hitter.

As of recently, the Lady Jags stats are at 3-3. With some wins and losses, Abi’s stats stand strong. With 5 kills total and 5 sets played, Abi is climbing up along her team and proving her place among the recurring members of the Varsity team. As just a sophomore, to have a starting position and already making herself shown, it helps Abi stand out to showcase her talents. Especially when she got 3 kills in one game alone against Coral Springs which only goes to show the power behind her. 

The record continues as the Lady Jags on August 31st faced Monarch High School with a high win of 3-1. Abi continued to play all 4 sets of this game and got 3 more kills. 

As the swings keep adding up, Abi currently has 12 hits in total this season. Reynolds was shocked herself  since, “I wasn’t really sure if I had shown the coach that I deserved to play outside. It is honestly a different level than JV because the competitiveness is so much higher.” With Abi’s kills getting the crowd cheering, the sophomore was able to additionally get 4 nail biting blocks throughout this game that made the crowd love her even more. Abi and her team have definitely shown back-and-forth from this game with it being 25-11 in the first set and closing the game with close calls of 25-19 but the Lady Jags managed to win. 

Repping #15, she takes this number as a sophomore and is making it her own. With family, friends, and her new teammates who are now turning into her personal strong bond.  She walks onto each court with the same energy and talent. Abigail Reynolds has a lot in store for the rest of the season and PPCHS cannot wait to be cheering for her on the sidelines.  

View Comments (3)