TASCPA

PHP Spirit Week: Promoting her, always

PHP Club

As the nonprofit organization, Promote Her, Period, commences its week of celebrating and spreading awareness in Women’s History Month, Charter students came together to support the cause. 

Day one: “PHP Day”

March 11 marked the first day of this week in which students were to find a PHP officer and collect a pink PHP sticker to wear on their shirts throughout the day. This simple addition to their wardrobe was able to bring the attention of others on campus and spread the word about PHP week.  “I thought the stickers were a great way to generate awareness about the club and women’s history month. Everyone wanted to participate in the TikToks, and everybody loves a sticker,” comments Junior Olivia Sinclair.

Day two: Wear a purple/green/white ribbon 

In celebration of Women’s History Month, PHP brought the trio of hues used to represent this special month. Purple was used to represent women and gender equality, green to represent new beginnings and growth, and white to symbolize purity and freedom. All around campus, students were encouraged to wear ribbons on their hair and wrists to carry around these colors of representation. Ribbons were even tied on bag packs, water bottles, and shoes to emphasize the message even further. “I think the ribbons were a great way to promote Women’s History Month. I still have my ribbons on my bag and water bottle and I don’t plan on taking it off!” exclaims sophomore Sofia Mejia.

Day three: Create and send a post describing a historical woman figure

Many marvelous women have impacted history and are still remembered for their fights against injustice and for leaving a long-lasting legacy. PPCHS students were encouraged to create a flyer honoring a special historic woman who has impacted the lives of many. From women in music, sports, and activism, these flyers were featured in the PHP Instagram to share the successes of these honorary women. “The movement definitely got a lot of male students involved with women’s history month. I’d say it was a success amongst both the boys and girls within the school,” shares Junior Lucas Romero.

Day four: Wear a burgundy or white polo shirt 

To continue the support for women, PPCHS students were invited to wear burgundy and white polo shirts. In bringing students together to spread celebration, PHP officers walked around with a purple PHP week picture frame to capture the many supporters who were wearing these polo shirts. “I noticed a lot more people were becoming educated on what women’s history month is and were participating out of the goodness of their heart,” expresses Senior Camila Correa.

Day 5: Share what Women’s History Month means to you

At the end of the week, PPCHS students were asked what History Month means to them. Heartfelt responses were shared based on each person’s reason to celebrate this month. To commemorate the women who have changed history and to have a month dedicated to the many wonderful moms, daughters, sisters, and girlfriends out there. A sign with the words “I ❤️️ WOMEN” was passed around and held proudly by Charter students who have spent the week emphasizing their love and admiration for this month. 

This concluded the first-ever PHP week at PPCHS. This week was able to shine a light on all the beautiful women who have impacted the lives of students here at Charter. From ribbons to stickers to signs, this week served as a valuable reminder to continue honoring and supporting women. It’s as simple as Promoting Her, Always. 

TASCPA