UF: The “Ivy League” of Florida

Gary Smith

As PPCHS students progress through their four years of high school, many dream about the final result of their hard work: getting into college. After an unbelievable amount of exams, extracurriculars, recommendation letters, and essays, the most rewarding feeling of accomplishment is getting into their desired institution. Here in the sunshine state, the University of Florida is viewed highly by many students—some might even say UF is the ‘Ivy League’ of Florida. 

UF was founded in the year 1853, making it a 171 year old institution. It has since then become an academic powerhouse with an acceptance rate of only 23%. Upon careful consideration of the academic achievements and the extracurricular history of the applicant, only exceptional students are accepted. However, what truly makes the University of Florida such a challenging school to get into and one so many want to be in? 

Programs

UF stands out to many for their diverse and high quality programs covering bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. These programs offered online and in person aim to prepare students to work in professional settings for their future career. Even as highschoolers, PPCHS students have the opportunity to attend the UF summer programs that provide on-campus experience in their desired field.

UF is also highly recognized for their advanced research, allowing them to generate around $1 billion each year. UF trains scientists, doctors, and engineers who are constantly working on solutions to world issues and prepares students to build an AI workforce that will progress Florida as a technology-driven state. Charter students that hope to pursue careers such as engineering or computer sciences look highly on this university as the best for their major since UF’s top major is engineering

Senior Mario Idiarte is living this vision saying, “I think all the opportunities and programs UF offers are what stood out to me. I’m doing Computer Engineering, and UF is one of the best for engineering!” 

Campus environment

Located in Gainesville, Florida, UF is a large campus with 918 buildings in which 160 are equipped with classrooms and laboratories. There are 23 on-campus residence halls and many outstanding facilities that are available to the students.

Gainesville is also known as a “college town” and is home to the Gators. PPCHS students who will be incoming college freshmen find this atmosphere to be ideal because it is surrounded by restaurants, vibrant nightlife, and year-round sporting events. 

Getting into UF was something that I worked hard for a really long time to earn, and seeing the Gator confetti rain down on my screen validated all the effort I put in

This campus is able to offer students a college environment filled with plenty of opportunities to socialize and obtain the college experience many are looking for. Senior Gabriella Tolentino shares, I really love UF’s education and social life balance. The school has great academics and programs for the students, but it also has so many other opportunities to make new friends and to just have fun overall.”

Decision Day

Friday, February 23rd, marked the decision day for the students who applied to UF. After four years of dedicated hard work in Charter to get into this college, the final decision was just a few clicks away. Senior Abigail Santos exclaims, “Getting into UF was something that I worked hard for a really long time to earn, and seeing the Gator confetti rain down on my screen validated all the effort I put in.”

UF is now ranked as the #1 public school in the country and continues to push the boundaries of students’ potential. Due to the advanced educational programs it includes and the college experience it provides, it is viewed greatly by PPCHS students. As charter seniors commit to this college, their journey in education and success continues in hopes of a successful future!