Hispanic Heritage Month: What does your heritage mean to you?

Priscila Saliba

September 15 marks the first day of Hispanic Heritage Month, a month where people from all Hispanic countries are able to come together to celebrate their rich culture. From the food to the music to the traditions, this month brings light to the colors brought by the vivid Hispanic community. Here in our campus, we are given the opportunity to experience the vibrance that comes from the Hispanics all around us. 

When thinking about los hispanos [the Hispanics], often the first thing to come to mind is food: Hundreds of diverse dishes are shared by the many countries who have given life to these plates. When asked what part of her culture she loves, Sophomore Valentina Sanchez exclaimed, “Food! The amazing food and arepas. I really love arepas! You can literally eat it with anything and at any time of the day.” These warm corn pancakes are gifted by South American countries Colombia and Venezuela and can be combined with a variety of savory additions.

Mr. Sanchez, from Puerto Rico, shares that “[he] take[s] most pride in [his] cuisine which is a blend of Spanish, African and taíno [Indian] influences.” The dish that stands out most to him is Mofongo, a Puertorican meal that can be served with chicken, shrimp, beef, and any addition that pairs with plantain. Cuban and Nicaraguan Senior Katheline Reyes, enthusiastically proclaims, “My favorite thing from both places is the food. Oh my gosh, the food. It’s so good. And everything is made fresh so it tastes even better, and the condiments they use are amazing!” Hispanics are able to bring their rich culture and put it in homemade plates to make each mouthful a delightful one. 

Hispanics not only bring el sazón [flavor] to their foods, but also to the dance floor. Just like they can deliver savory foods, they know how to deliver the best dance moves. Spanish teacher Ms. Narvaez shares, “I feel proud about the rhythm of Latinos. The music, the way we celebrate, dance, and party. Most Latin Americans bring joy to their souls playing music almost everyday at home. Why not dance while doing housework or cooking? It makes life easier and happier.” El baile [dance] is part of who they are. Whether in the kitchen, in the living room, or on the dance floor, Hispanics are sure to bring their rhythm anywhere they are. As many Hispanics exclaim, “La música está en las venas! [The music is in the veins]. Katheline, PPCHS Latin Dance Team captain, adds that one of her favorite parts of her culture is, “The music. Every time I listen to Spanish music it takes me back. That’s why it made me join the latin dance club and why I am now captain.” PPCHS is able to provide students with the opportunity to take advantage of their Hispanic roots inside them and bring it on in the dance floor! Music brings us all together, even more when Hispanics are taking the floor.

Many PPCHS students also stay in contact with those who tie them into their Hispanic roots. Sophomore and proud Colombian Valentina Sanchez describes a meaningful connection to her: “Every day at 8:00 p.m, my family and I get on a zoom and we just pray. We pray about being able to wake up today and how grateful we are to be able to be together on this day.” With most of her family members living in Colombia, Zoom is able to break this distance even for a little each day. Additionally, Sophomore, Catalina Castro, who is also Colombian, shares how she visits her home country every summer. “I usually spend my time with all of my family members from both sides of the family who I never get to see, and I love it,” she expresses.

Traditions born in Hispanic communities are ones that many proudly honor. Katheline explains that, “In Cuba, for a really big celebration or event, we always roast a whole pig for the whole family, and there’s also lots of music and dancing.” In Colombia, Valentina says, “Every December 24th, we make homemade dulce de leche from scratch. I do it with all my family: tios, tias, primos, all of them. It’s a really nice bonding experience.” From Guatemala, past Spanish teacher, Ms. Papadopolo, remarks, “In Semana Santa [Holy week] they make these carpets out of asserín [sawdust] and they paint them in different colors. It’s just beautiful.” Out of the many traditions that these beautiful countries have, there are certain that Charter students and teachers hold dear to their hearts. 

Hispanic Heritage month is a month all Hispanics take strong pride in. It means “…getting to express your culture and what Hispanic country you are from,” says Colombian Sophomore, Santiago Bogotá. It “…gives me the opportunity to embrace it. I adore my country,” says Valentina. It allows numerous people to “…recognize and celebrate the many contributions of the Hispanic Community,” says Ms. Narvaez. “Hispanic Heritage means taking pride in where you’re from and embracing the unique traditions and flavors of our culture. It’s a part of who I am, and I cherish it,” Brianna proudly exclaims.

Hispanic Heritage means taking pride in where you’re from and embracing the unique traditions and flavors of our culture. It’s a part of who I am, and I cherish it.

— Brianna Albuernes

Our campus is built up of proud Hispanics whose cultures diversify and enrich our community. That is what celebrating this month is all about. ¡Viva la diversidad cultural!

View Comments (2)