The Importance of Student Volunteers in Hospitals

Photo donated by Angelica Diaz

As fulfilling a minimum of 40 volunteer hours is a graduation requirement, many students struggle to find suitable placements. While some opt for activities like beach clean-ups and YMCA programs, others elect to volunteer in hospitals, viewing this as an opportunity to fulfill their hours and gain practical experience for their future careers. In an age where many aspire to become influencers or makeup artists, those with a passion for the medical field can be rare. However, Charter has a significant number of students aspiring to pursue careers in the medical field. With clubs like HOSA Future Health Professionals, students are presented with numerous chances to make a positive impact in their community while also practicing for their future medical careers.

As a result, many students can be found volunteering at hospitals, specifically Memorial Hospitals. These student volunteers help decrease the workload of the medical staff while also contributing to improving the overall patient experience. Even if students do not want to pursue a career in the medical field, volunteering at hospitals provides endless opportunities to help personal growth. Sophomore Angelica Maria Diaz, who volunteers at the Memorial Hospital expresses, “I really like the [hospital] experience, it has taught me to be more responsible and increase my work ethic. It pushes me out of my comfort zone to talk to patients and make connections in the workplace.”

Angelica is just one of the many volunteers who share how volunteering at hospitals has helped them grow; students also volunteer at hospitals to help them pursue their future medical careers. As they provide valuable emotional support to patients and their families, students form a connection with the hospital. Sophomore Daniel Salman expresses how his volunteer experience at hospitals has been thrilling. As he aspires to pursue a career in the medical field, his time spent volunteering has provided valuable insights. “Volunteering at the hospital was very exciting and very educational. It helped me learn more about the medical field. Also, [to] complete high school volunteer hours.”

These volunteers also take on essential administrative tasks, such as delivering meals and healthcare supplies, which allows the medical staff to focus on providing quality care to patients. As a result, students gain valuable experience working in a healthcare setting and develop essential interpersonal and communication skills. Sophomore Santiago Bogota-Leon, a volunteer at the hospital Memorial Regional expressed, “It’s been a real adventure … I have gained lots of experience in different positions, further improving my general interests for a career. Volunteering at Memorial has given me more lifestyles that I will need to use to overcome challenges in the future. I’ve started volunteering to see what area interests me more for a potential career choice. Originally it was just for hours but now it’s become a fun and good activity after school.”

By enhancing the hospital experience for patients, student volunteers aid in reducing stress and anxiety, potentially leading to faster recovery times. Additionally, by lightening the workload of the medical staff, they improve the hospital’s efficiency, ensuring that patients receive the best possible care.