Salon 184

The Committed Ones: Rocco Mendez

Adriana Calderon

Turning on the TV to watch the Baltimore Orioles play while in awe as an Oriole player goes in for a dividing catch, Carlos (Rocco) Mendez knew at that moment that this game was what he wanted. As a pitcher and outfielder, Rocco Mendez has been playing baseball since age 11 and has been putting in his dedication and hard work to this sport for the past years of his life.  Playing for 5 Star National and our very own Pines Charter Jaguars Varsity Baseball Team. Heading into the 305, a home away from home, Mendez’s talent in the precious game of baseball led to his commitment to Barry University.

Rocco knew he wanted to take baseball seriously ever since he touched the stitching of the ball.  Persevering through personal ups and downs, he continues to push through and use that as fuel. By age 15 he knew he wanted to play college ball, but like any other sport, Rocco recognizes that baseball is collaborative.

However, he appreciates the individualization that comes with it. “When you get a home run, when you get a double, that’s you. You’re helping the team while also achieving something for yourself, ” Mendez explains. “That fuels me to keep going.” This has taught him discipline and focus making him the player he is today. 

Mendez entered his senior year with 5 Star National having a 317 batting average, a 440 on-base percentage, and 3 home runs. “I have to be able to manage my time and discipline myself to have the best result out on that field,” Rocco states. As an athlete, keeping a healthy mindset off the field is just as important for him. “Baseball is something I get to do. I don’t have to do this,” he tells himself. 

Barry University has many qualities that Rocco looks forward to going into his freshman year as a college student. “Barry U is a very competitive team that I feel like I can contribute to,” he states. With coach visits and college tours, Barry University has welcomed Mendez with open arms. 

Closing up this chapter in his baseball journey, it wouldn’t have been possible without the support of his family, friends, and team. His dad, a big inspiration, Rocco says gratefully how “he helps [him] every step of the way and without him a lot of this wouldn’t be possible.” 

Becoming a student-athlete at the collegiate level, he understands that he will have to leave behind many friends and connections made in the past 4 years of his life. 

Giving one last piece of advice for future Charter athletes, especially baseball players, “don’t give up when it gets hard. You can always bounce back and put in the hard work to get where you want to go.” 

Rocco Mendez will be stepping on the mound for his final run as a senior. Taking the hardships, talent, and memories along with him. Mendez signs off looking forward to a successful senior season and many more to come on the Barry U baseball field.

Salon 184