Over halfway done, transitioning into third quarter

Juliette Montes

The third quarter for many marks the halfway point to the ending of the grueling 180 days of the school year. For others, it’s time to lock in and study for end of year exams. Many seniors are working hard to finish up their college applications, and pushing through their final year as highschool students. This quarter comes with a wide variety of emotions including everything from stress in testing, to excitement for upcoming field trips.

While the fire and drive in plenty of students has dwindled by the third quarter, many are working the hardest they have all year to excel in tests and start off the second semester right. “I really want to work on not being a procrastinator,” explains sophomore Justin Ruiz. “I also want to use my time better and study for tests with time as opposed to the night before and if I need help, I want to ask my friends and teacher instead of trying to figure it out on my own.” Habits like these are followed by many students around this time of year, as important tests and assessments are on the horizon. On the other hand, plenty of students look forward to the completion of the school year and summer approaching closer and closer. “I’m just happy we’re half way done and summer’s almost here. These last two quarters have felt super long and it’ll be nice to finally catch a break,” expresses freshman Jeremy Geldres.

Many are also excited for the up and coming Busch Gardens field trip taking place February 9th. Third quarter field trips give students something to look forward to in a quarter that’s usually heavily focused on academics. As sophomore Albert Yanez says, “It’s super nice getting field trips around this time of year. Busch Gardens has been something I’ve been really excited about for a long time now. It gives me a chance to kind of just chill and not worry so hard about grades.” School trips are always something students can look forward to no matter what kind of stress they’re under. Busch Gardens is the only field trip and what the majority of underclassmen are looking forward to the most in the third quarter. 

Finally, it’s the last push for seniors. Most of these students have gone through the ups and downs of high school and created fond memories. At this point in time, graduation is getting closer, and a whole new chapter of their lives is about to begin. “This quarter is definitely exciting!” exclaims senior Lauren Castillo. “At this point in the year I’m trying to stay focused but I’m also just so ready to graduate.” This is the seniors’ last ever semester as high school students, and while that can come with many emotions, it’s time for them to make one final push into graduation.