Kisha Williams / Elite Realty

“Too Good to Say Goodbye” to Bruno Mars in Hollywood

Rebekah Barrera

From the classic 2010 pop hit “Just the Way You Are,” to the more recent tunes of R&B royalty Silk Sonic, Bruno Mars has graced the music industry with his presence time and time again.

Featured on most people’s throwback, hype, and even in-the-feels heartbreak playlists, the artist has maintained his well-deserved icon status with albums such as Doo-Wops & Hooligans, Unorthodox Jukebox, 24K Magic, and An Evening with Silk Sonic.

On Friday, December 8th, I had the once in a lifetime opportunity to see Bruno Mars in person at the Hard Rock Live in Hollywood. Bruno, the Hooligans (his band), and the concert itself took many things from the crowd and I—or rather, I gladly gave them away: my voice, screaming lyrics at the top of my lungs; my sense of hearing, lost in the midst of thousands of others doing the same; and surprisingly, my phone, following a strict no-phone concert policy. Still, the show was a beautiful and fun experience, far more enriching than any other.

Tickets for the concert—one show on December 7th and the other on the 8th, yet not part of any tour—officially went on sale on September 28th, only two days after the announcement of his visit. Just the thought of Bruno’s presence nearby drove South Florida locals crazy, leading nosebleed seats that were initially $300 to skyrocket to over $1,000 the very next day.

The experience was definitely not one to pass up, however. Held at the Hard Rock Live, a venue of 7,000 seats, the show accomplished an intimate feeling between host and guest due to the relatively small capacity of the location. “In my opinion, the best seats were the first rows of the second and third floors,” expressed Senior Orion Taleon, who attended the December 7th show. “There weren’t really any bad seats.” I learned this personally, as my own seat was at the highest level, yet I could still see and hear Bruno clearly.

To even get to the fun part of the concert experience, all attending guests were required to put away their phones and other recording devices upon entrance to the venue. Devices could be kept with us, so long as they were locked in magnetic pouches (created by the company Yondr) throughout the show’s duration. I thought the rule to be a bit extensive and unnecessary at first, especially as I wanted to be able to replay moments of Bruno’s performances over and over once the night ended. Senior Fernando Barreto, who was also in the show’s attendance, couldn’t agree more. “I thought the no-phone rule was annoying because I wanted to capture the moment so I could look back at it,” the diehard fan explained. Without us realizing it, however, the musician gave us an even rawer and more authentic experience without our phones getting in the way. “Put the phone away and enjoy the moment to yourself!” Bruno emphasized towards the end of his visit. In a way, it made me feel like a VIP Guest whose eyes and ears have seen and heard what others won’t get the chance to.

With all devices away, lights dimmed to a small glimmer, and a shared love for Bruno Mars radiating throughout the room, I loved seeing the audience collectively break out into loose, dancing bodies. Whether it be a romantic, upbeat, or soul-touching sad song, the audience didn’t fail to belt out the words to the range of tracks.

Such a range touched on every era (and emotion) of the singer. Earlier hits like “Uptown Funk,” “Locked Out of Heaven,” and “Marry You” were lively features accompanied by perfectly synchronized dance routines on Bruno’s setlist. At one point, the star alone sat behind his piano and rewound to the beginning marks of his success, playing songs like “Grenade” and “Nothin’ On You.” Fans also yelled the lyrics to the more somber songs of “When I Was Your Man,” “It Will Rain,” and “Talking to the Moon” straight from the heart.

No matter the melody, Bruno Mars’s voice maintained its crisp perfection throughout the entire night—just as crisp as his and the Hooligans’ dance moves. I noticed no cracks in his voice, just a smooth, silky, sweet sound coming from his vocal cords and serenading the audience. As Fernando also reminisces on the concert, he remembers a core memory being “When [Bruno] sang ‘Finesse,’ hitting a high note at the bridge.” It left the fan “speechless at the moment.” Just as rich of a sound was the star’s band, which featured his guitarist, saxophonist, and pianist—all of whom received just as much praise as Bruno himself during allotted solo times.

After what felt like a short time (but was really two and a half hours) Bruno and his crew left the stage– and the audience wanting more. With little to no record of the actual performances, audience members are left with the special memories made during an unforgettable night. It was definitely a night like no other for me, and given the chance to live it again, I’d take it without hesitation. If I never experienced the magic of Bruno Mars live, I would feel just like one of his top songs: “Locked Out of Heaven.”