A hike through Canada: Ava Abello’s Excursion

Donated by Ava Abello

At the beginning of June, I took a long awaited trip to Banff, Canada. The flight to my destination was relatively smooth, with only one stop at the Dallas Fort Worth Airport. We flew over many scenic areas and luckily got the chance to see many beautiful mountains which we would be soon experiencing even closer. Thankfully, my family and I had the amazing opportunity to stay at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, which is also the only hotel directly located on this lake. This stay had a breathtaking view of the lovely blue waters of Louise that were surrounded by stunning mountain peaks. 

On our first day, which was also the most exhausting one, we took an 8.9 mile walk to the Lake Agnes Tea House. Bear sightings are pretty common on this trail, so we had to bring bear spray in addition to learning what precautions to take in case there was an encounter with one. Fortunately, the only wildlife we saw were chipmunks scurrying across the land and up the trees. The tea house was an adorably intimate space where we had the best soup and sandwiches accompanied with warm, hot cocoa. The day, although filled with tiring walks, gave my family and I a great start on the trip to discover the gorgeous landscapes Canada had to offer. 

The next day we were all weary from the miles walked, so we decided to take a much smaller hike at a nearby trail. We then went back to our hotel and had some tea. On our last day, we took a cable car up a mountain. Going up hundreds of feet above the land, we were able to see the beautiful views of the mountains below us from a farther distance. After our ride, we did an additional hike and got to see my favorite little chipmunks. We drove around Banff to many different and astounding lakes that had us speechless. We kept making stops at each of them to take pictures which would be the best way to collect the astounding views that were being presented in front of my eyes. 

On our ride back home to Miami, we had to make a stop in Dallas Fort Worth again, but due to complications with our plane, we had to stay the night in Dallas. The next day, we took a flight back and eventually landed safely back home. It felt amazing to be back in the comfort of my own home after experiencing a unique trip in Canada from my 2023 summer excursion.