Turning the clock forward for a Spirit Week finale

The high school experience is often thought of as the last time for a kid to be a kid. With most worries left up to the adults, the main responsibility for highschoolers is to live out their young days. Whether it be new freshmen, experienced seniors, or anything in between, PPCHS is home to the youthfulness of thousands of students.

Turn the clock forward, however, and you get the scene that Day 5 of Spirit Week brought about: graying hair, hunched backs, walking canes, and old-fashioned clothes. Friday, November 3, ended off the newest season of Spirit Week with a theme unlike past years’: Senior Citizen Day. From wigs to walkers, students projected forward in time and invented a plethora of ways to portray themselves as the elderly. 

“You know, it’s really fun! Some people did not even dress up, but this is our senior year, we have to dress up! I was really going for the old lady that causes drama at the casino. I think I pulled that off really well.” –Leanne Sorensen, Senior

“I just wanted to represent the best depiction of an old woman! It goes from the green, weird socks, to the rose dress, to the necklace that’s messy and not put on right, to the aging body, to the gray hair, to round glasses. That’s just like an old woman back in the 1900s!” –Fabrizio Cioffi, Junior

“I wanted to be a different old person! I feel like, usually when you think of old people, you think of just the nightgowns and stuff. I wanted to be a little different, so I was thinking of the ones who go on runs and hikes, the very active ones. So that’s how I was like, ‘Let me be one of the athletic ones with the short shorts!’ I really like [the theme], I feel like we’ve never had this one before.” –Morgan Taylor, Senior

“I took inspiration after the great Tyler Perry’s Madea. I was thinking more of the comfortable look, you know, something [to stay in] at home. So I have on the nice bathrobe, and, of course, I have to do my hair all the time, so I had to put on my good ol’ nice bonnet.” –Gregory Francis, Sophomore

“I just looked on Pinterest and I saw people put pillows [underneath their clothes]. I have a hard pillow for the chest and then I have a Squishmallow for the bottom!” –Alexandra Villafane, Junior

“This [dress] is my great grandma’s! And my grandma gave me this necklace. I got my [gray] wig from Party City, and also this cane is my brother’s. I was just going for classic old lady.” –Kayla Cook, Freshman

“My inspiration behind this was Madea. It’s a nice pillow [underneath my dress]. I would say [this theme] is like my second favorite.” –Stephen Marchan, Sophomore

“My inspiration was my great grandmother! She had a gown like this, so I got one like it so I could look like her as well.” –Valentina Castillo, Junior