Photos By Lisset

One set of detectors, three days, and thousands of opinions

[Student Reaction]
Lindsey Smith

From long-established dress codes and routinely checked IDs to individualized access cards and additional fences, PPCHS has lived by the principle of “Safety first”. As the issue of mass casualty incidents becomes more prevalent in today’s world, and especially in today’s educational institutions, the essential phrase is continually being turned into action.

On the morning of Wednesday, October 27, PPCHS students became the testers of the newest potential security measure: Evolv Express. The metal detector-looking technology recognized and differentiated between weapons and everyday items as students passed through them, allowing school grounds to be free of any possible threats.

Although only a three-day pilot program, the Evolv system stirred up mixed reactions within the student body of PPCHS. Many had thoughts to share about their experience going through the security process and whether or not they believed it to be beneficial:

[My experience going through the detectors] was okay, but I just didn’t really think it was an amazing experience in general because, like, wouldn’t it discourage students from bringing things that are metal, like a laptop, when the school already can’t provide enough laptops for students? So if it does continue, I wouldn’t bring my laptop anymore ‘cause I had to take it out, go through the whole process… it isn’t worth it in the long run. I also was hearing stories of kids getting stopped because they had metal things on their backpack or like a binder. You need a binder! I can’t argue with my teachers that I don’t need a binder because I do! So I mean… I think there should be another change. It should be something else.” -Nckayla Boodoosingh, Freshman

“No, [the system is] not necessary. We get false threats every year.” -Jeremiah Alcime, Junior

“I would say I had a pretty okay experience [going through the detectors]. I felt safe to say the least. I felt really relieved that most of my friends and my sister felt safe about it, and I don’t see anything wrong with it.” -Amalia Amengual, Sophomore

“I would see why they’re necessary but also, it seems very over the top that they have to do it. Plus it kind of forces us to get to school earlier just to pass through. It takes so long! It’s just annoying to pass through.” -Marcus Arayata, Senior

“So I feel like [the weapon detectors are] good. I do feel like they kind of cause some sort of cramming at the gate because of the process. Maybe if they put it farther into the school or if they just put more, it would be streamlined. And then also, it doesn’t cover all the gates yet so I’m sure they’ll change that. But I think it’s pretty good. And then I’m a little bit concerned with the car line too, like maybe they should put it there as well.” -Caleb Mercado, Sophomore

“It felt like going through the TSA at the airport!” -Orion Taleon, Senior

“I think that it’s a little unnecessary and kind of unfair because the other gates at the library don’t need to do it.” -Kent Feng, Senior