Kisha Williams / Elite Realty

It takes two for Day 1

As Homecoming is just around the corner,  everyone anxiously waits for the themes of their favorite week to come out. During class, someone yells, “It’s finally out!” Everybody rushes to their phones and opens Instagram to see what SGA has planned for Spirit Week. As soon as the bell rings, the chatter among students grew incredibly throughout the hallways, in classrooms, and at lunch with talks of “Who are we going to dress as?”, “Who do I twin with?”, and “I can’t believe this week is finally here!”  

October 30th marks the first day of Spirit Week: Dynamic Duo or, as some students call it, Twin Day. Students at Pembroke Pines Charter High School go all out during Spirit Week showing their creativity and Jag pride. Now, let’s look at some of these duos!

“I was excited for Twin Day and to twin with my friends! My friends and I have been planning our outfits for the past few days. We decided to do South Park so we all dressed up as whoever we chose. I was Stan, my friend Robertzsa Joseph was Cartman, Jerzie Rodriguez was Kenny, and Kameron Dacosta was Kyle. My favorite other duo was Spongebob and Patrick.”-Gabrielle Jarvis (sophomore)

“The whole science department was excited. We spent quite a few different marks on the aliens trying to find the perfect one—one that would come in time and look the most realistic. It took a few days since we started planning last Wednesday. Our outfits were lab coats all over black and gray alien masks. I was twinning with the whole science department except for a few that were men in black like Ms. Chancelor, Ms. Carrasco, and Ms. Brandt. My favorite other duos were the referees and Mario and Luigi.” – Ms. McCormick, science department 

“I was super excited because I remember seeing people last year and everyone would go all out! My biggest concern was that no one was going to dress up but then when I walked in I saw a bunch of inflatable costumes and everyone did their outfits. I realized that it’s a big thing in this school, so I made sure that I would go all out this year too! I have been planning my outfit for a couple of days. I dressed up as Rosetta from Tinkerbell and my twin Gaby Koch dressed up as Zarina. My favorite other duo was Alvin and the Chipmunks.” -Brianna Albuernes (sophomore)

“I was very nervous because when I walked in I saw no one dressed up so I was starting to worry, but then I saw my twin all dressed up so then I changed into my outfit during class and got all ready. It took me a while to figure out what I was going to do, because all my friends and I decided we were going to be gold diggers and then something came up so we all ended up twinning and choosing different outfit themes. My twin and I decided to dress up as Pennywise and Georgie from IT. So I was Georgie and my twin Valentina Mesa was Pennywise. My favorite other duo was Zack and Cody. I loved that one!” -Alyssa Cassanova (junior)

“I was very excited, but this morning I was super nervous when I was walking in because I was worried no one else was dressed up. It took me about two weeks to plan my outfit. I am the Lorax and I twinned with Emma-Jane Hinton who was the Once-ler. My favorite other duo was the Barney duo!” -Nya Ulloa (sophomore)

“I feel like Twin Day is iconic and will always be a must during spirit week. I started to plan my outfit two days before it started. I saw a TikTok and sent it to my friend. Then, we DIY’d some of the outfits and bought the rest. I was Soulja Boy with Kelilah Murrain and we dressed up as the same thing. My favorite duo had to be the two soccer moms!” -London Ferguson (freshman)

“I think Twin Day is really fun and especially from last year you could see how much students like it too. I have been planning my outfit since last night but it came out good, so I’m happy! My twin Rea and I decided to dress up as Fireboy and Watergirl. My favorite other duo so far was Zack and Cody” -Isabella Serrano (sophomore)

“I wasn’t that excited for Twin Day but I am most hyped for Disney day. My outfit was kind of last minute because I did it last night but I still think it’s pretty good. I decided to be a barbecue dad and so was my friend. We wore bucket hats, a towel, and a spatula, and I borrowed some of my dad’s clothes. My favorite other duo was Santa and reindeer!” -Chloe Correa (junior)