Kisha Williams / Elite Realty

En el mes de la herencia hispana, PPCHS celebrates Hispanic culture

As the team gets ready for their big day, they don’t put sneakers on — they wear heels. “La Familia” enters the stage and starts the new year with a new team and choreography. 

Senior Katheline Reyes, also the captain of the Latin Dance team, has spent months developing the dance with 2023 former captains Laisha Laracuente and Jorge Muñoz. “I put my sweat and tears into this choreography,” she said. “I know that my team’s energy will showcase our appreciation for Latin culture and teach the student body what it means to be a part of the Latin community.”

Now, Reyes is preparing for more events and competitions alongside Daniela Caballero and Fabiana Roca, the assistant captains. “Since it’s my first year as captain, I have a lot of aspirations for the team,” Reyes said. “I hope to compete in March in the Battle of the Salsa clubs as we have done the past couple of years, and I hope that all our performances are the best they’ve ever been.”

A new member, senior Andres Vilanova, reflects on how the Latin Dance team has helped him celebrate and appreciate his Latin culture. “I grew up in Venezuela and moved here at a young age. Hearing and dancing to this music has made me feel more connected to my roots,” he said. “After the practices, I like to practice with my parents which helps us feel more connected, too.”

Senior Emily Palomino has been on the Latin dance team for two years. “Latin Dance has allowed us to showcase and celebrate Latin Culture in so many ways,” she said. “From our performances at Central Campus Multicultural night, pep rallies, 8th-grade orientation, and just recently on October 17th we’ll be performing at our school’s Hispanic Heritage show.” But, after she removes her salsa heels, she puts her sneakers on and runs to her cross-country team. 

Palomino shares a tradition she and her teammates participate in yearly. For the entire month, the PPCHS cross-country team shares their culture by wearing their culture’s jerseys instead of their team’s practice jerseys. After practice, they share a feast: tacos, carnitas, empanadas, and arroz con frijoles. But most importantly, Emily adds, “Before we ate, we each stood up and shared with everyone where we are from,” she said. “I really enjoy this and it’s a tradition our team will want to celebrate every year!”