The thrilling tunes of our PPCHS Band: Preparations for Upcoming Competitions

Entering the field with their designated instrument or flag in hand, the PPCHS Band marches in synchrony ready to give their best performance to the Jaguars filling the stadium and cheering them on. This group of dedicated and hard-working students work constantly in order to put on their best show for their peers, teachers, and families. With competitions right around the corner, band members continue on the non-stopping grind in order to deliver their best productions and continue on their superior streak. 

The upcoming competitions the band is preparing for are for the marching band Music Performance Assessment (MPA) on October 28 and the Park Vista High School competition on November 4. In order to get ready for these events, at least 8 hours of band rehearsal are dedicated each week: every Tuesday and Thursday from 4 to 8 PM are spent working on a combination of skills, including music and visuals. Senior Head Drum Major and Band President Gabriella Tolentino, explains, “Having constant rehearsals can be difficult at times, however knowing the end result pushes me to continue to work hard. I love listening to our band perform and seeing them have so much pride in what they do, and when performing, I have front row seats to their success.” Although there are many continuous rehearsals and multiple hours spent going over music and performance aspects, it is all worth it in the end as it leads to successful performances. 

The PPCHS Band is made up of around 140 students and what is worthy of being noted is the grand sense of teamwork and togetherness that is felt among all the members. Junior and trombone section leader, Nicholas Ferrero, proclaims, “The members are all constantly around and seeing each other. Since there are so many of us, we all have to get together as peers to help our different band programs thrive.”

Band is made up of different groups including winds, battery, front ensemble, percussion, and color guard. It’s crucial for all these sections to have good companionship between each other in order to bring about a smooth result. Sophomore and trombone player Jasmine Salmon explains, “I feel as though I have an amazing little family in this extracurricular and it’s so much fun to get better together.” Sophomore sousaphone and tuba player Valentina Sanchez enthusiastically shares, “Working together to achieve a goal with best friends is such a good feeling, a core memory, to be honest.” The time spent working together to create these productions have unified this group which consider each other a family. Even when hardships are faced, members never stop working together to meet their goals. Sophomore Center drumline player Gianmarco Aca proudly states, “These events and experiences are what I always keep in mind when I feel like giving up or quitting. I always remember what I’m going through all of these hardships for, it’s to put on a show.” Focusing on getting a triumphant production in place no matter the obstacles faced is a priority set in their minds. 

In order to deliver the best results possible, the band not only focuses on the music, but also the visual aspects, which is what color guard is able to provide. In order to prepare for their performances, color guard members rehearse around 2 to 3 times a week for 4 hours each day (occasionally having band camps that last from 5 to 9 hours). During this time, these students learn choreography as well as dance and equipment techniques, in addition to learning drills alongside the band. Junior and Color Guard Captain Emily Forestier shares, “Color guard is a hard skill to learn, but once you’ve mastered something, the feeling of self-achievement is very satisfying. It’s such a fun sport and it feels special to do it around such amazing and talented people.” 

The band here in PPCHS is composed of many committed and hard-working students who are willing to put in hours of work to provide the student body with euphonious music and engaging visuals for the entertainment of all. The band program continues to strive for their best work and with the direction of the staff members, the directors, and the willingness of the students, this is made possible.

View Comments (8)