Sweet Treats by Julie

The Committed Ones: Kiara Gomez

Gabriela Martinez

For as long as anyone can remember, there has always been a distinctive difference between the views on women and men in sports. This view revolves around the capabilities of what a man can do and the limits of what a woman can do. However, right here in Charter, is someone who went beyond those barriers and made her own legacy. Kiara Gomez pushed the doubts of others aside and ran to make history for future generations in flag football. 

As Kiara enters her final months of high school and happily commits to Daytona State for flag football, it is with nostalgia that she reminisces on the prolonged, yet interesting journey that led her to where she is now. 

Flashback to when she was only a young girl, Gomez grew up trying multiple sports that could possibly lead into a connection with her and her future. However, not one clicked with her in the way she hoped. But as she watched her older brother dedicate himself to the sport of football, she knew it was something that she could see herself doing. “Witnessing my brother’s passion for football only fueled my own desire to be a part of it.”, expresses Gomez as she recalls the determination she felt when thinking about joining the sport. 

On the other hand, Kiara’s future was often discouraged for a factor she couldn’t control. “Whenever I expressed my desire to play, I was often told ‘no’ due to my gender,” says Gomez. Kiara and her family then researched extensively and made sure that there was an option for their daughter to play this sport. And there was. 

After finding a co-ed flag football league to immerse herself in, it quickly became a goal of hers to let herself get to the best she could possibly be. 

From endless amounts of training to progressing up the ranks in her travel league, South Florida Elite, Gomez was finally able to see herself be the player she always imagined herself being as a corner and wide receiver. 

Even though there wasn’t an easy start for her flag football career, Gomez fought through the doubts and negative background noise. By proving herself as a valuable addition to the sport and not allowing herself to be limited as a player due to her gender, she was able to set the tone for the rest of her seasons. “However, I’ve remained determined, letting my passion and skills on the field speak for themselves.”

Now, as she has proven herself to be one of Charter’s most valuable players, she reminisces on the past for a chance of cherishing bonds and relationships that have meant the most to her throughout the years. As for her family, her brother and father, both serving as a mentor and inspiration is just among the many she thanks. “My biggest supporters have always been my family, especially my mom and sister. They attended all my tournaments, practices, and games, showing unwavering support.” 

Without the support of her coaches, friends, teammates and the rest of Charter, Kiara wouldn’t be able to feel the amount of love and new experiences that she can receive from playing flag football. Knowing that Gomez had open arms and love coming from different corners, she was able to immerse herself in the sport and grow as a player.

Looking ahead into the future, Kiara is set to spend her next 2 years at Daytona State playing the game she loves the most. During that, she is more than thrilled to embark on her journey in achieving her A.A and then later pursuing her degree in marketing. For whatever the future holds for Gomez, Charter will always remember her for talent and continue supporting her.

Sweet Treats by Julie