The Committed Ones: Alejandro Puig

Marcus Deane

“I was born to play, it is literally in my blood, it’s my culture.” Being of Puerto Rican and Cuban descent, Alejandro Puig was born to be the baseball player he is now. Picking up a baseball at the very young age of 3, Puig’s life has been forever changed. As spring approaches it calls for the awakening of the baseball season, and Alejandro already knows his college plans, committing to Dartmouth College this past June. 

Given the opportunity to play at an D1 Ivy League college for the next 4 years, Puig gives thanks to all who have helped him through his long journey. “The first guy to introduce me to the sport has been my inspiration since day one, my dad.” 

Realizing that the love of the game could be a possible future, Puig decided to put every ounce of focus and time into the sport. Watching others around him surpass his abilities increased the will to give it all he could. Just being a regular 8th grader Alejandro knew this game was what he wanted to do. “One travel game I was riding the bench, I wasn’t happy or focused so I changed, and everything from there on and everything would be 100% baseball.” The slack turned into early morning training’s to late night trips to the batting cages, soon hearing from others how talented he was growing to be. 

Entering high school Puig was a part of Charters JV team, and just within a few weeks time, he was bumped up to Varsity after coaches saw great potential in the young freshman. The potential grew into hard work, leading him to being co-captain his junior year, then to soon commence this senior season as captain for the Jaguars. 

Having a .367 batting average, Puig holds himself to a high standard this season. “Have one of the best senior seasons in Pines Charter baseball history, lead the team to states this year, minimum batting average of .600 and fielding percentage of 1000 and if possible drafted to any team in the first 12 rounds,” he said, listing off his goals for the ‘24 season with anticipation.

Always believing that any goal is reachable if he believes they are possible, doing anything he possibly can to make the impossible possible, and having doubts is inevitable for any athlete, but Alejandro found a way around the doubts. “I’ve learned that the only person you can compare yourself to is the person you were yesterday, as long as you were better than yesterday you’re growing.” 

The captain has high expectations for the upcoming season, and he assures they will be reached. “I am super excited for the season and believe that this team can reach expectations. I am confident in this team and my players. They are mostly pretty young but they have extreme talent and I feel with the right leadership we will be able to guide them.” 

In previous years the Jaguars baseball program have dominated the 5A district with winning 6 straight district titles but haven’t been able to secure the title since the ‘19 season. With the almost 5-year drought, Puig assured to bring the title back home. “We will beat McCarthy this year and we will be heading to states.” Prominent to his statement, stakes are high for the Jaguars with both captains committed to play college baseball. 

The story of Alejandro’s commitment is truly short and simple. Entering his first summer ball game of the ‘23 season playing with a new travel team, Puig didn’t start on the field but batted 8th. The odds were against the young and uncommitted player. Not selling himself off short, walking up to the plate against a high prospect pitcher hitting a fastball around the low 90s grazing the top of the batter’s eye close to 400 feet. Giving him a stand-up double, which led the Dartmouth scout to walk over to Puig’s dugout and speak to his coaches, he soon made several great plays in the game with ecstatic energy and confidence. “You never know who is watching, [is what] my dad always told me this since I was young and my commitment proves that. Being at your A game at all times is a crucial aspect  of the game, having a positive attitude.”

Born in Brooklyn, a New York native, and being a fan of Derek Jeter and the Yankees, that’s how the love for the game started for Alejandro Puig. “It’s been my dream, it’s everything I know, it’s my passion.” Looking back on the past years Puig is thrilled to lead his teammates this season to victory. “Favorite memories of high school and baseball would be our annual Stanford tournament, the chemistry of the team is at its peak and we all ball out.” 

Before heading to Dartmouth in the fall Puig has a lot of goals and ambitions for the end of his senior year to complete. The future Big Green has created a new aspiration for future Charter athletes. 

BJs Restaurant
View Comments (1)