Photos By Lisset

Be original, outstanding, and kind: B.O.O.K. Club

Tatiana Cruzado

When B.O.O.K. Club is mentioned, the first thing that comes to mind is the sole focus on reading. While it is true that the club reads a fun book every month that aligns with the theme of the month, such as romance books in February, the club also offers endless amounts of literary fun. 

After years of inactivity due to the lack of student involvement, the B.O.O.K. Club has finally started up again with a new set of goals in mind. With goals that range from decorating the boards around campus to starting a scholastic book fair once again, the club is beginning to shine once again. Club president, Sophomore Hannah Ikner, states that “Most of the time reading is used for students to escape the real world. I wanted to use the book club as a way to unite students and spread kindness all around school.” 

By creating an atmosphere where students feel free to express themselves, B.O.O.K. club strives to make students feel welcomed while discussing books and doing volunteer projects that make a difference in our community. Here is a list of ways the club is achieving their goals of kindness and overall making reading fun.

The club board encourages students to engage in activities that are related to the plot of the book. For example, in January, the club read ‘A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder‘ by Holly Jackson, and to make the meeting more enjoyable, the club played the card game Mafia, which corresponds to the book’s theme of suspense. Additionally, the club provides snacks to create a cozy atmosphere.

B.O.O.K. Club encourages kindness through volunteer projects that help people in need. Although the club is just starting up again after being hidden in the dark, the club is beginning to leave its mark on the school. Currently, the club has started innovating the boards around the school. From the one in the office that showcases popular books to the one in the cafeteria that aligns with the current holiday/season. 

Overall, there is so much more going on than just simply reading. B.O.O.K. Club offers activities beyond reading, including its goals, the motivation behind its revival, and its focus on creating a sense of community and kindness. The club aspires to provide a platform for students to explore diverse literary themes and engage in impactful community service projects that foster a spirit of compassion and empathy. Hopefully, the club’s dedication to these goals will continue to grow in the coming years.

Photos By Lisset