A literary treat: NEHS Elephant Holiday social

NEHS members rushed to room U113 for the special Elephant Holiday social where they would be able to exchange books with each other. The room smelled of hot chocolate and marshmallows with a fireplace glowing from the projector in front of the room. A large table was piled with a variety of books, each wrapped with decorative holiday colors, and fairy lights decorating the border of the snack table, filled with different flavored cookies ranging from oreos to sugar cookies to chocolate chips. 

As NEHS president passed around a bright red hat, each student picked out a paper slip with a number that would tell them the order each person would go in to exchange a book. As each number was called out, a new student would walk to the table adorned with books with varied genres from Fantasy Fiction to Historical romance. Members had the opportunity to choose the book that caught their attention the most by reading the short synopsis written on the front and then unwrapping it to reveal the story inside. 

As each member received their book, laughter was shared between them as they drank their hot chocolate and talked about their unwrapped gift. Sophomore, Hannah Flores, enthusiastically shares, “My favorite part was being able to hangout with my friends while discussing our books. It was a great experience and I got a great book out of it!” NEHS President, Shivraj Singh, shares similar feelings as he proudly exclaims, “I’m very happy with the outcome! I think it was a great presentation of literature and it gave people the opportunity to pick out a book to explore it.” 

This event was an exciting way for NEHS members to come together to celebrate the holidays while sharing their love for books. With many more exciting events to come, NEHS continues to share their passion for literature here in PPCHS!