Behind the festive season—stress throughout the Holidays

Tatiana Cruzado

The holiday season brings out the greatest joy of all: wrapping gifts, caroling, spending time with loved ones, and admiring the decorated homes that bring smiles that brighten the night. The warm scent of vanilla with the holiday spirit linger through the halls in 2023’s final month. Despite the wonderful smiles and secret Santa participation amongst the students of PPCHS, there are still stressful times underneath the piles of holiday goodness.

Throughout the holiday season, circumstances may take a turn for the worse while engaging in certain events: a friend’s gift may have been delivered incorrectly, family visits may trigger trauma, along with so much more that can spike nerves. During these harsh downfalls to the holiday spirit, there are still ways that PPCHS students have found to relieve those stresses and keep their festive joy.

With music playing in the background, hair pulled back, and creating tasty treats, Freshman Adia Smith states that her way of decompressing during the season is by “baking and spending time with friends.” Adia finds baking as a way of relieving the anxiety of the holidays because of the “control [she has] over what happens because there’s given measurements. Having all of it be set in stone helps calm me down”. 

Quality time with family and friends is another relaxing way to relieve holiday tensions. Jenna McIntosh, currently a junior year at PPCHS, distracts herself by “hanging with friends or family and going out to calm places like the beach or park.” She expresses how it’s a helpful distraction as work is pushed farther away and the more enjoyable moments are present and appreciated. 

Spending time with true friends and family is crucial in relieving stress. However, there are still moments in which time has to be dedicated to oneself—known as me-time. Junior Caitlin Cabrera relaxes by having “a self care day…watching movies, doing some fun hobbies you enjoy, reading a book.” Sophomore Isabella Milian finds her holiday peace in the same way. She is able “to get [her] mind off of things by watching [her] favorite movies… I get to have a breather even if it’s for a couple of days.” Holidays are meant to spread joy, but it’s also essential to remember to take time to relieve physical and mental stress. “A good [book] series or sports. It gives me something else to focus on, and a good series, if it’s really good, will take all of your attention,” said sophomore Isabella Abohasen. 

Colorful lights are shining on rooftops and gifts are piling up under Christmas trees—the countdown before holiday break has begun. Stress may be present throughout the holiday season, but always remember the more joyous and elated moments as this year comes to a close.

View Comments (3)