Kisha Williams / Elite Realty

Alyssa Nakken striking the world: How a female in the MLB impacts PPCHS women athletes

Zoe Porcia

The month of October is prime time for playoffs in the MLB. While the baseball players went into the playoffs, Alyssa Nakken decided she wanted to take over the headlines. Making baseball history in previous years as the first woman on an MLB coaching staff and a part of the San Francisco Giants franchise since 2014, she decided to make history again.

About two weeks ago, Alyssa interviewed for a manager’s job for the San Francisco Giants. As of 2023, there are about seven female MLB and Minor League managers, including Rachel Balkovec, who just recently earned her first win as manager in 2022. As for Alyssa, she decided to make an impact on women in sports, so she is in the process of climbing the ladder from an assistant coach to a manager.  Alyssa Nakke’s achievements inspire women nationwide, especially at Pines Charter. 

“I think it’s really moving to see women starting to get involved in male-dominated industries, especially sports-related ones. sports are often seen as being for men and having a woman involved in jobs related to this is really moving for young girls.” –   Sophomore Abigail Reynolds (Varsity Volleyball) 

“It’s really exciting to see Alyssa Nakken breaking barriers and making history. Representation matters, and it’s a positive step towards creating a more inclusive and diverse baseball community. I hope she continues to inspire others and pave the way for more opportunities in the future!” –  Senior Natalie Rivera (Varsity Softball)

“I think Alyssa Nakkens achievement  in being the first woman to be interviewed for an MLB manager position is really exciting as it inspires young girls who gravitate towards male dominated sports that gender should never limit one’s ambitions and goals. When I was young we never saw or heard of women having big roles in male sports and it discouraged me. But now seeing more women get more involved it motivates me and makes me happy knowing women are being recognized for their true talent and merit they bring. and now young girls can see people just like them in the more diverse world of sports and not be afraid to chase their dreams” –  Senior  Skai Jean Baptiste (Varsity Soccer)

“I believe that it’s nice that women are  comfortable to pursue these positions, especially since it’s taboo for women to be in these male-dominated sectors. I think it shows the progression of the times.” – Junior  Ini Fathimilethin (Cross-country team manager)