Miami Herald’s Golden Boy of the Week: Sammy Mitchell

Gabriela Martinez

As Mr. Jablonka, a beloved teacher at Charter, is heard over the loudspeakers introducing the Jaguars, Samuel (Sammy) Mitchell, Junior, and Defensive End, is behind the breakaway banner preparing himself for the game that lays ahead of him with one thought in mind, beat Taravella. However, the impact that this single game will have on his football career is a hidden surprise for the future weeks ahead.

Following the astounding game against Taravella that ended in a 21-0 win, Miami Herald recognized Sammy Mitchell for his hard work and determination in his performance throughout the game that brought Charter a victory. The Miami Herald is a daily newspaper that spotlights  players each week for their talent throughout the games played in the past. During week 12, all eyes were put on Sammy and his impressive performance. But, how Mitchell came to be a strong contribution to the Jaguars is a story to be told. 

Transferring from St. Thomas with his sister, Sanai Mitchell, the pair walked the unknown halls of Charter alongside each other impatiently waiting to see what lay ahead for them both. Coming from a private school, the crowds in terms of school and football had similarities and differences. Speaking on the Jaguar team, Mitchell explains, “I have more mobility in the way that I play here. It’s sort of like more freedom I feel while playing too.” On the other hand, Mitchell feels the same amount of pressure and intensity to play on his ‘A Game’ no matter the circumstances.

The story line strings all the way back to when Sammy was just a little kid with a passion for football. When it comes to family, it is the bond and support that keeps the Mitchell family prospering in the way it is now. Looking back at his past, “My dad and I liked to play sports a lot, especially football and basketball. So, I’ve grown to like it a lot.” expresses Sammy. 

When it comes to the sibling bond that keeps him in line, Sanai is a vital part in Sammy’s success here at Charter. “I started to get better grades last year. We keep each other in check here and it’s better for us here in Charter definitely.” Putting aside Mitchell’s natural talent and abilities, the mere fact that Sanai and Sammy both can be each other’s cheerleaders just pushes him more and more to be his best self.

Trailing back to Sammy Mitchell’s most recent win, the process in which securing the Miami Herald player of the week, it took a whole village; quite literally too. When asked about the process, Sammy explained it was all thanks to his friends and family. “It was by votes. I had gotten the link and I sent it to everybody and they sent it to their friends and family and that’s when all the votes happened.” With these hundreds of votes leading up to the final moment, it goes to show that Mitchell has support lined from every corner. 

With 6 tackles and 4 sacks, it was undeniable that Sammy Mitchell was worthy of the Miami Herald player of the week award. Taking this award with him, this is just the beginning of the long and prosperous road ahead of Mitchell.