Operation Christmas Child is a go

Waking up at 7:00 AM and running downstairs to see gifts under the brightly lit Christmas tree is one of the best feelings a child could ever experience. Unfortunately, not every child gets to feel that same joy on Christmas morning. Operation Christmas Child is on a mission to bring the Christmas spirit to as many little boys and girls as possible, and it’s starting right here at Pines Charter.

Operation Christmas Child is a humanitarian aid organization whose goal is to demonstrate God’s love to children in a tangible way: by conducting toy drives and giving gifts to kids in need. Ms. Perez, the PPCHS BRACE Advisor, brought it to Charter in 2016, only starting off with about 100 boxes to fill and gift to children. This year, Charter is on track to complete 800 boxes, and fill 800 kids around the world with happiness.

The PPCHS Guidance Department is hosting the drive until November 18. After signing up, students will go to the office and pick up a Christmas themed box that they can fill with whatever they think an underprivileged kid might need. “Sometimes it’s socks, sometimes it’s pencils, some pens for school, crayons, a coloring book. You know, little toys here and there to be able to make someone feel awesome for the holidays because they may not be able to get something from their own family. Getting a gift like this is huge!” Ms. Perez expressed joyfully.

After packing the box with trinkets and toys, students will be able to choose who the box goes to: whether it’s a boy or girl, the age range of the child, and the country that they live in, allowing students to make personalized gifts and create personal connections with the kids they’re making the boxes for.

Students who participate in the drive will get 5 community service hours per box. While this is a great opportunity for students to gain hours, Ms.Perez sees it as more than just an hour grab. “I think it’s important that we know what giving back is, what giving to others is about and what presenting opportunities for the less fortunate is,” she explains.

Sophomore Lucas Prandini wasn’t aware that students would get service hours for donating to the drive, and simply participated out of the kindness of his heart. Lucas conveyed, “When I was a child, I loved having gifts under the tree, and I’d like for other kids to experience that too.” He plans on putting Hot Wheels in his box, saying that they were his favorite toys growing up; he’s ecstatic to have the chance to pass on his childhood memories onto someone he doesn’t even know.

The tenderness of giving back seems to be the theme of why people are contributing–and why Ms.Perez brought the program to Charter in the first place, knowing that she would impact lives positively around the world, and right here in the school community. “Well it’s more so as a collective: students being able to obtain service hours, it’s the families knowing that they’re doing a great deed for others, it’s me knowing that I’m able to bring this to our school and as a community we are doing this all together,” Ms.Perez expresses.

Operation Christmas Child is in action, and taking full effect. With Christmas right around the corner, it’s only a matter of time before those little boys and girls open their individualized gifts, and share the same excitement we feel while on Christmas morning.

View Comments (6)