Fashion Club’s donation drive: Promoting style everywhere

Juliette Montes

There’s always a few outfits in the closet that’re forgotten, or simply never worn. Whether it’s the top that was trending a few years ago or the jeans that squeeze more and more with every step, each of these items can benefit people in need. With new leadership, goals, and events in store, Fashion Club welcomes the year with a donation drive. The organization will be collecting gently-used clothing material to be delivered to the Broward Outreach Center for Homeless Women & Men.

As she begins her first year instructing at Charter and sponsoring the Fashion Club, Ms. Lateef-Jackson aims to use her first year to promote social awareness in the community. The advisor shares, “Although people don’t necessarily equate fashion to social awareness, the actual fashion industry has been at the forefront for decades in raising awareness to any number of relevant social issues.” Though these issues are often overlooked, Ms. Lateef-Jackson intends to shine a positive light on what we can do, as students, to support the cause. 

She continues, “The Fashion Club will strive to highlight the ability of fashion to adapt not only to styles and trends but also to changing times and social consciousness.” The organization will be divided into 5 teams, Donation Support Staff, MUA’s, Creative Artists, Stylists, and Models, each with a different purpose, but coming together collaboratively to reach a shared goal.

While the drive is active, students will be contributing to a cause greater than themselves. From September 20 to October 20, every item given will only uplift the community and bring Fashion Club closer to reaching their goal.

View Comments (1)