Running toward a successful season

Donated by: Lindsey Smith

Cross Country is holding themselves to high standards after having one of the best seasons in the last decade. After going on an amazing run to qualify for states last season, Charter’s Cross Country team’s number one goal for the 2023-24 season is not only to make it to states, but to be the best in the state. Last season the team surpassed all expectations after qualifying for states (for the first time since 2014).

Even after placing first throughout all of their regular season meets, and reaching the top 8 in districts, the team is still not satisfied. They plan on working even harder this season to take longer strides in the long distance sport.

The team’s strong senior core, and leaders are partially credited for such a successful season. 11th grader, Andres Gaviria, and third year cross country veteran said whole heartedly, “They were the heart of the team and they kept up the energy.” 

They will now have to rely and put their trust in team captains Alejandro De Bastos and Lindsey Smith. Alejandro has been on the varsity cross country team since the 9th grade and hopes that they will make it back to states and to personally break 16 minutes in the 5k. He does plan on changing his strategy this season, expressing “I think I will go out front to not get in the mess of the pack; just go out there and do the same as always, run as hard as I can, and try and run my best time.”

Lindsey has been on her cross country journey since middle school, running on the girls varsity team since her sophomore year in highschool. She has high expectations for herself and the team this season, saying confidently, “This year is going to be a good growing season, I have high hopes and expectations. On a personal side, I hope to break 22 minutes in the 5k.”

They’ve had 3 meets so far, and are on track to make it to states, placing top 8 in all of their  meets. With the team captains leadership skills combined with the talent of the athletes, they are projected to have a successful season.

View Comments (1)