SAT Tips and Tricks!

Alexandra Kouropteva, Staff Writer

Becoming a junior is an exciting experience, as you are only one year away from becoming a senior. But, many students actually dread junior year. The SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) is one of the most stressful exams for high school students, as it plays a role in deciding which college one gets into. Around this time of year, many juniors begin studying for the SAT—with the school providing a free test on March 1st, and an upcoming nationwide SAT on March 11th. But, there is no need to worry, as there are plenty of tips and test-taking tricks to conquer the SAT.

Come prepared

When going to take the SAT, make sure to be organized so you feel prepared to take it. The day before, try to pack your bag or backpack. Pack number 2 pencils, an eraser, a calculator, extra batteries, snacks, a registration slip, water, a jacket, and even some tissues. Coming prepared helps ease some of the stress and nerves that one may have. Junior Mia San Angelo, who has already taken the SAT, explained that when she was packing her bag she was nervous to take the test, but once she came into the testing room, she felt better knowing that she came in organized and prepared: “Even though I was still very nervous it was kind of relieving knowing that I had the stuff that I needed.”

Relax the day before

Although this may seem inefficient, doing nothing the day before and relaxing is one of the biggest things that educators have said can help you before the SAT. Watching a movie, reading a book, or hanging out with a friend will help take your mind off the test. This will help your mind be at ease and not stress about the test, helping you get your rest the night before. Freshman Matthew Lewis stated that “usually the day before a test, I don’t stress as much because if I do, I’ll end up not getting enough sleep because I get worried, and then I don’t feel rested and fail my exams.” Lastly, set your alarm to wake up early enough so that you do not feel rushed in the morning, and go to bed early!

During the test, try not to stress

It is understandable to stress when taking any test, especially the SAT, but do your best to relax. Rather than worrying about the future or previous sections, focus on the one you are on right now. This will help you be calm and collected while answering the questions and improve your chances of getting them right. On the topic of answering the questions, if you are stuck or are lingering too long on a question, move on to the next and then come back to it. If you find yourself losing concentration or getting frustrated, stop for 30 seconds, close your eyes, put your pencil down, and take a few deep breaths. Sophomore Valentina Mesa hasn’t taken the SAT yet but has taken the PSAT. “I got stuck on multiple questions and when I started to get nervous I took a break, and when I went back to the past questions I actually answered some.”  Finally, use your breaks wisely: go to the bathroom, eat a snack, stretch, and just try and get your energy up for the next section. Remember, being calm and confident will be one of your greatest advantages during the SAT—and any other test.