Editor-in-Chiefs over the years: Journalism in Charter

Any student that has entered Mr. Fagen’s classroom in any of their years at Charter can agree that there is one specific, notable feature in there. The CHAT newspaper Editor-in-Chief wall. This wall takes writers down multiple generations of leaders in the Charter journalism world and those who have contributed to literary change in our school. However, there is one that stands out among the few. The one who leads the honorable wall with her senior year picture; Christine Kolich. Christine was the first Editor-in-Chief that took on the hard working and esteemed role of overseeing both aspects of The CHAT: digital and content. Looking ahead, Valerie Questell and Sophia Lopez follow in Kolich’s footsteps, striving to grow journalism throughout Charter.

Looking at Christine’s senior photo on the wall, writers are taken back to the years of 2005-2006. Those years marked a very important, crucial time for Christine’s future whether she knew it at the time or not. She was going to take on a new role that was going to remain pivotal throughout CHAT history. What led to this major decision in giving the lead to one person was Kolich’s dedication and passion to both sides of the paper. “I was the only person who knew content and digital like the back of my hand. I was very involved in digital because I loved it and that’s where my passion continued as I left school.” Mr. Simon, the digital class’s class advisor at the time and Christine’s father, led her passion in helping the class grow and becoming a beacon of knowledge as she navigated herself through both classes. 

Back in the 2000’s, there was a much different and, in some ways, a more elaborate way in which the newspaper was laid out. There was no website or any links in which students could quickly access stories and photos. Kolich focuses on the idea that, “…The newspaper was still very much relevant in the more traditional sense that you think of a newspaper. You know, you had to get the newspaper to see the pictures.” This brings a new type of awareness to Charter that in order to get information and read stories on lifestyle or sports, you would have to support the newspaper and get it in your own hands. 

To Christine, it remained very important and crucial to have a paper that appealed to the wandering eyes of Charter students. With this, it not only came down to the content, but to the photos and graphics that would have to not only add to an article, but bring out the best out of it; in other words shine a light on all of its best aspects. Her main goal came down to, “I wanted to design something that was visually appealing and make sure it flowed easily. I wanted the paper to be relevant.”

Stretching all the way to several generations ahead, the current newspaper’s digital Editor-in-Chief, Sophia Lopez, puts in a grand deal of hard work and dedication to continue what Christine had fought so hard to begin and accomplish. Entering Newspaper, it can be every writer’s dream to make their mark in CHAT history, but only few can accomplish that. Sophia made her mark when becoming digital’s Editor-in-Chief to apply not only her hard work into content but as well into the photography and graphic design aspect of the stories. 

Even though past Editor-in-Chiefs are onto a different point and chapter in their lives, there is still something of an invisible string that continues to unite them to the current leaders of the class. It is the care and passion that has been dedicated and shown through the stories, work and ideas that are implemented daily into the CHAT. Sophia shares, “You learn to care for the paper in a way that you want to see it thrive and develop and it becomes your own personal motivation to make the paper the best it’s ever been.” 

Lopez explains the idea of two Editor-in-Chiefs being brought back into the newspaper as it gives both of the leaders a chance at quality control. As Sophia Lopez works on bringing out the best of graphic designers and photographers, Valerie Questell is sharing her bright knowledge and skill with the rest of the content makers in an attempt to make the CHAT stories stand out in a unique sense. 

Valerie Questell has guaranteed her spot in the CHAT’s hall of fame as she has brought back to life aspects of the newspaper that had been tucked away. In her first year in the newspaper, it was her goal to bring back Club Editor and shine a light on the voices of the clubs that ultimately made up Charter. “I brought back Club Editor because I saw it was in the newspaper the previous year and I was like ‘you know I think we really need this,’”she says. “So I contacted all the clubs in the school to see what they’re doing this year. I went all out.” After hours of research and conversations with club leaders, it was the newspaper’s class advisor, Mr. Fagen, that was convinced and intrigued with such dedication that approved the idea. 

As her year of being Editor-in-Chief continues, Valerie leads the content class with charisma and talent, but with a strong character that encourages well-made work and a strong mindset. For Questell, her mindset is very rooted in the idea that everyone has to be a team player in order for the newspaper to flourish in its own ways. However, even though years separate the two women, Christine and Valerie share a common fundamental idea in leading a class: delegation for all writers but creating boundaries as well.

“It’s not always going to be easy, maybe at times it was a personality clash or a difference of opinion. But, you in any position have to either learn how to work with that or make the difficult call that might not make you well liked but at least you know it’s the right decision,” Christine goes to explain the importance of working with your writers, but ultimately making the right choice that will benefit The CHAT. Commonly so, Valerie leads with a vibrant smile and skill that merges along with boundaries of expecting her writers to know that some choices will have to be made at the end of the day.  “…You create this collaborative environment but then you also have boundaries with everyone”

As more generations come and write for The CHAT, more leaders will step into positions that hold leadership and power and help journalism thrive in Charter. When asked for one piece of advice for future leaders, Christine Kolich emphasizes on remembering you’re not alone. “You can get ideas from other people. It doesn’t make you any less of an editor or less of a leader if anything it makes you a better one when you listen to the people and the ideas around you.”