Sweet Treats by Julie

How SGA planned an unforgettable spirit week

Donated by: Coralie Richardson

In the hustle and bustle of Charter during spirit week, the hallways came alive with laughter as students flaunted their crazy costumes, such as SpongeBob and Patrick, Soulja Boy, and even a Barney inflatable. 

While students happily embraced the themed days and exciting events that occurred throughout the past week, a more stressful story was taking place behind the scenes in room U226, as SGA was working tirelessly to plan and bring the week to life. 

The spirit week committee had been hard at work since the beginning of the school year planning out all the themes of the week and making sure they were able to get approved in time. They also were trying out ways to make this the best week with little activities on each day like the Disney Day lip-sync battle and walking the stage to show off your outfits. According to Sofia Mejia, a sophomore in SGA, “We started planning around the second week of school, and that’s when we started brainstorming all of [the ideas and themes],” she explained. 

Some of the themes and events that students took part in last week drew inspiration from the Internet and current trends, as well as from past years’ spirit weeks, as students on the planning committee “took a look at binders from old years.”

However, the months leading up to October 30th, the first day of spirit week, were not easy, and the committee faced many challenges and problems, such as getting ideas approved by the administration. “We weren’t allowed to follow through with a lot of things we wanted to do. [For example], we wanted to have a Bingo event… during lunch on Senior Citizen day, but it ended up [not getting approved],” revealed Sofia Mejia. 

Despite this, a sense of relief was felt by the committee as they finalized their planning and released the themes for a week that the whole school was anticipating. “After finally getting everything approved, being able to click post on Instagram just meant a lot, like wow, we’re really done,” expressed senior Coralie Richardson.

SGA, as a whole, also expressed their overall satisfaction with how the week turned out, and how they finally got to enjoy participating in the themes and events that they planned. Junior Allex Vann, who helped plan the events, conveyed how he thought the week was ultimately a success, and he’s “happy that everyone actually dressed up.” Everyone participating in spirit week made the committee extremely happy because of all the planning they had to go through. When asked “What was your favorite day?” arose, Allex was quick to answer. He revealed that his favorite day was Disney Day when he dressed up as Genie from Aladdin. 

On the other hand, Coralie Richardson added that her favorite day to plan was Dynamic Duo Day. “My friend and I dressed up as SpongeBob and Patrick and we wore tutus… and I had a lot of fun that day,” she stated. 

Last week’s success stood as a testament to the months of planning and dedication from SGA. Their hard work paid off in creating an amazing week filled with school spirit, creative costumes, and memorable events that will be remembered for years to come.