Kisha Williams / Elite Realty

Breast cancer awareness: The October initiative to learn, grow, and share

Evan Omana

October, the most haunting month of the year, is ironically remembered by floods of pink, dainty ribbons, and the uniting of communities. The only thing more terrifying than the monsters unleashed on the 31st, is the breast cancer diagnosis that may arrive at any stage of life. 

1 in 7 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer, threatening their health and wellbeing around the world. While the cure remains unknown, the month of October dedicates the awareness and support to breast cancer patients and survivors. 

On Pines Charter’s campus, Relay for Life strives to spread breast cancer awareness year-round. Through community events, fundraisers, and educational workshops, the team, led by their Senior Captain Amogh Baranwal, devotes the month of October to promoting and funding breast cancer research. Before he committed to fighting for the cause, Amogh experienced the fear in witnessing the progression of his grandmother throughout her battle against cancer. The senior recalls, “My late Nani (grandma), Asha Rastogi, inspired me throughout her journey from diagnosis all the way to mastectomy and recovery. Her strength, resilience, and unwavering spirit during that challenging period served as a beacon of hope for our entire family.” To him, she symbolizes his passion for providing resources and funding research for treatment development in any way possible.

Breast cancer, along with other types of cancer, are more likely to be treated or prevented by early detection and regular check-ups. Since most symptoms are camouflaged, the importance of taking action with self or clinical exams is strongly recommended. Despite popular belief, men are also vulnerable to breast cancer, and the lack of awareness has led to higher mortality than amongst women. 

For Amogh, consistent initiatives in social media and partnerships with local businesses amplify his and the Relay for Life team’s goal. He continues, “My grandmother’s story is a testament to the power of love, determination, and the remarkable individuals who fight this disease with grace and courage. I honor her memory by continuing to advocate for breast cancer awareness and research, ensuring that others may find hope and healing on their journeys.”

Though October is the designated month of awareness, the movement doesn’t end there. Senior Coralie Richardson, the Relay for Life’s Co-Sponsorship Liaison, believes October should only incentivize everyone to do what they can in contributing toward the cause. “We fight for the people out there who need our help, comfort, funds, and efforts to get them through such difficult times. Spreading the message in October isn’t enough, the endless movement will continue to grant anyone the motivation they need to keep fighting against it.”

For the month of October, students and faculty alike support our school, as well as the city of Pembroke Pines, in fostering a culture of awareness, empathy, and solidarity—making it known that we stand united with every single person who has had to face cancer head on,  and ensuring that no one faces this battle alone.

View Comments (1)