BJs Restaurant

How Ozempic is profiting off insecurities

A+typical+Ozempic+carton.+The+injection+medicine+was+originally+prescribed+to+treat+type+2+diabetes%2C+but+recently+some+people+have+been+using+it+to+lose+weight.+
Camila Vaca
A typical Ozempic carton. The injection medicine was originally prescribed to treat type 2 diabetes, but recently some people have been using it to lose weight.

As the years pass by, new trends continue to flood our screens, whether that includes TikTok dances, beauty, skincare or even DIYs. The common thread that ties these trends together, new or old, is that for the majority of the time, they’re harmless. They may profit off of teenage self-esteem and confidence of others, but it has never reached the point of involving drugs or causing health problems. However, there is no way to justify the jump of this new trend of obsessing over losing weight and getting “supermodel skinny.” This has resulted in valuable medicine being taken away from diabetic people. But, as of now, people around the world are making excuses for the new trend of obtaining Ozempic in order to lose weight and “slimming down.”

For most, the name Ozempic is a fairly new concept. It has become globally recognized as the miracle drug needed to lose weight. Before this effect of the drug became widely known, its primary use was to maintain blood sugar levels for people with type 2 diabetes. With approximately 90-95% of diabetics being type 2, there is an extremely high demand for this medication. 

As Ozempic is now at a high demand for both diabetic purposes and weight loss, there is now a national shortage. Thankfully, for the people that need it for medical uses in order to maintain a healthy body, there is a second option available. GLP-1 receptors are quite similar to Ozempic as it is an injection that you take daily or weekly. According to Dr. Kushner, who specializes in this area of medicine, “GLP-1 receptor agonists are a wonderful medication for treatment of any patient with type 2 diabetes. It’s a good thing this is true because the shortage might be here for a while…” 

Now traveling across the country, we can look at Shane Anthony’s story in Seattle. Anthony, who is 57 years old and has type 2 diabetes, hasn’t been able to receive Ozempic since October. Even though some of the younger generations react well to the GLP-1 receptors, others do not. Anthony’s wife, who is also a nurse, comments, “…his blood sugar levels have gone back up since being off Ozempic.”

As controversy grows surrounding the drug, it has come into question who exactly is responsible for the popularization of Ozempic. It can be easy to assume that celebrities, influencers, and brands are spreading the weight loss results for 2 reasons: for profit and a new figure. Some brands have even been seen contacting fitness influencers to advertise weight loss drugs. 

Sophomore Gabriana Bravo comments that, “To see influencers that we see on our phones daily agreeing to the use of Ozempic in that way is confusing almost. Is this what we look up to?” 

It is true and almost eye widening to think that younger generations such as teenagers are watching their idols or close ones take injections in order to slim down. It is this question that should remain in our minds; is this the example we want to set for future generations and ourselves? 

BJs Restaurant