Sweet Treats by Julie

From live on stage to seen on screen: Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour

Justin Bentancourt

It’s like you’re really there—the immersive echoes of songs from 2006 to now, the elaborate outfits “bejeweled” from head to toe accompanied by traded friendship bracelets, and the pure joy that overwhelms you when you walk in. Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour movie is the taste of seeing her live in concert that fans have been longing for, and it’s finally arrived at local theaters. 

Within just the first handful of shows, traditions established themselves at The Eras Tour. Fans arrived at their respective venues with more than just excitement. With them, they carried a stash of handmade bracelets with song titles spelled out in beads, and they came dressed representing their most favorite albums, styles, moments, or eras of Taylor Swift. These moments didn’t end with the tour, however; they persevered until they reached the popcorn-scented reclining seats of theaters showing the concert film. The continuation of these well known traditions allows viewers to do more than just view it, but to experience it instead. While it doesn’t beat seeing the singer/songwriter in person, it is a convenient, more affordable option for fans who were unable to purchase tickets, and that will just have to suffice. 

Amid fans’ anticipation for the October 27th release of 1989 Taylor’s Version, and the Internet sensation of her newfound relationship with football player Travis Kelce, Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour documents a combination of Swift’s L.A. concerts, forming one complete show. Aside from the removal of a few songs, including Folklore lead single “Cardigan,” Lover track “The Archer,” and 1989 hit “Wildest Dreams,” the show’s remarkably lengthy setlist of 40+ songs still stood strong. The show opened with fan favorites from Lover, which was unable to obtain a tour of its own as a result of Covid, then progressed into the nostalgic throwbacks of Fearless, and so on into each of her ten albums. As many’s favorite part of the show, the surprise song segment in the film consisted of “Our Song,” a tribute to her debut album, and “You’re On Your Own, Kid,” one from her most recent album Midnights, truly coming full circle in the span of one show. 

Premiering October 13th, this movie has been destined for success since it was first announced. Taylor Swift’s impact doesn’t stop at just the music industry. Upcoming theater releases, with notable names, took her incomparable levels of support into consideration. Some, including The Exorcist: Believer, even pushed their release dates to avoid competing with her at the box office. This proved to be a smart move as her film earned $96 Million within the first four days of its release. 

While I can’t speak for all showings, my theater had a positive, peaceful atmosphere. The experience very closely mirrored that of a true concert, with the singing and dancing of all my favorite songs with friends and fellow fans. If you plan on watching the concert film, I highly recommend viewing it in an upgraded sound theater for the full concert effect.

If there was one takeaway from watching this movie, it’s that Taylor Swift’s energy, commitment, and drive as an artist is admirable. It’s unfathomable that every outfit change, every choreographed dance, every vocal I witnessed on screen is a part of Swift’s routine three nights a week for months at a time, and she manages to do it with a red-lipped smile on her face every show. From start to finish, Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour brings fulfillment to fans who have felt left out every time clips of people sitting 10 feet away from the stage inundate their social media. The film’s runtime of two hours and 45 minutes may be daunting, but every minute watching is a minute spent singing, dancing, and making memories to forever cherish.