Spring is in the air & fashion is flying

Justin Betancourt

Camera clicks can be heard all around as the light flashes bright. Models walk down the runway, eyes staring in awe. A realization is made, the bright flash is not coming from the lights, but the stars modeling the shimmering clothes. The Spring 2024 Fashion Week season began on September 8th. 

From romantic, sophisticated looks that scream bold to floral designs that belong in a garden, all the designs are heavenly, but some in particular are my favorites:

The city of love becomes dark as Jackson Wiederhoeft reveals designs following a Phantom of the Opera theme. The Night Terror At The Opera displays designs that include bridal dresses, dramatic side skirts, intense corsets, veils, ruffles, and tear-drop gems, as the runaway becomes a dimly lit theater. In the background, satirical acts are shown as the models laugh at the audience and bicker with each other to form a gloomy atmosphere, matching the wicked theme.  

Rainbows form over the cloudy atmosphere as Kim Shui showcases designs that resemble that of a romantic dream in the heart of Italy. To emphasize the romantic mood, models blow kisses to the audience. Corsets, lace, and sacred Chinese fabric are used to show femininity. 

Hillary Taymour embraces feminine energy from a political point of view; clothing is draped, asymmetric, ruffled, fringed, tied, and ripped to form the paradox of graceful chaos. Although the description of these designs might not seem alluring, they are dreamy. Models wear exaggerated smiles to express “everything is fine.” Later, they abruptly drop the smile as they walk away. Taymour reveals she wanted her designs to scream ‘I’m going to the party, but I’m also sitting on the couch, and I don’t care.’” 

While we are still in dreamland, let’s take a trip downtown to Sandy Liang’s princess uniform designs. As we are in the era of “aesthetics,” Liang takes advantage of this to execute her vision. Liang explains one of her designs, “she’s wearing her mom’s old lace dress with grippy sport sandals from TJ Maxx, on her way to collect bugs and rocks with shell phones in her ears.” Inspiration from film director Sophia Coppola’s sorrowful yet visually pleasing film came is prominent. Once again, a hyper-feminine theme appears. Ballet flats, skirts, and bags are all tied up with bows. Everything about this show is breathtaking from head to toe. The color palette consists mostly of cream, navy, and shades of pink. Among the front-row audience is Lola Tung, star of the Summer I Turned Pretty who would rock the looks modeled. 

Fashion does not only apply to clothes, as makeup and hair are often the small touches necessary to tie a look together. Expanding on my love for Sandy Liang’s collection, the minor yet intentional details made my love grow more. The makeup consists of a dewy look with flushed lip stains tied together by crystal gems on areas of the face such as the eyelid, the nails gleam with crystal gems, and the slightly damp wavy hair give the models a mermaid look. Overall, it’s the little things that play into making a final look spectacular. 

There is something for everyone in the designs at New York Fashion Week. When given the time, take a look at what may be your new favorite collection!

View Comments (1)