Kisha Williams / Elite Realty

Multiple choices: The CLT joins the SAT & ACT

Zachary Hladek

Logging into College Board, selecting your testing location, and anticipating the day of your SAT or ACT is a relatable experience among upperclassmen. For nearly a century, it has always been that way: The SAT and the ACT—until now. The Classic Learning Test, better known as the CLT, is officially becoming a widespread third option for students testing across Florida this year. 

According to CLT’s official website, the exam is an online college entrance exam for 11th and 12th graders. Prior to this May, the CLT was mainly “used mostly by Christian colleges and select private institutions.” But now, the test is accepted by hundreds of colleges and universities across the U.S. 

There are over $100 million in scholarships linked with the CLT, including “eligibility for Bright Futures starting with the Class of 2024”. PPCHS College Advisor, Ms. Perez, points out students are being offered a third choice for applying to college scholarships. As a counselor, she has personally seen “many students hitting a wall with the SAT/ACT, and this test can be what they are looking for to meet the eligibility for [Bright Futures].” If a student isn’t as comfortable with the other options, there’s a chance for them to find more success with this test. 

As an alternative to other standardized testing, the CLT runs similarly to the notorious exams that students have been well acquainted with for years. With multiple choice questions and sections divided between subjects, including verbal reasoning, grammar and writing, and quantitative reasoning, it resembles the SAT and ACT on the surface. While students may find familiarity in the format, there are many differences and new components, including its much shortened, often more desirable duration of two hours, faster score release period, and option to take online rather than strictly in person. Providing students with this choice “could possibly take the stress off [them] because they can test in the comfort of their home,” Perez expresses. Lauren Castillo, PPCHS senior, especially appreciates the online option as it relieves the “huge inconvenience” of “being back in a school environment at 8 am on a Saturday.” Being able to take it in an environment she personally feels more comfortable in, “whenever [she feels] ready” alleviates some of the stress that inevitably comes with senior year. 

Standardized testing is taking a step into a new direction, with the CLT being its latest innovation. The Classic Learning Test may be the new option of college testing students didn’t know they needed, but one that could guide them to a future of success.

View Comments (3)