Salon 184

News Briefs 9: Kansas City parade shooting, heavy rains in Death Valley, and Aaron Buhsnell self-immolation

Evan Omana

Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl Parade Shooting 

On February 14, a few days after the Super Bowl, there was a parade near Union Station in Kansas City for the Chiefs’ Super Bowl win. Two men, Lyndell Mays, 23, and Dominic Miller, 18, went to this rally and got into an argument with another person, which escalated and led to everyone in that argument pulling out their handguns and shooting. The evidence showed that only Miller’s gun was the one that allegedly murdered someone out of all the guns. This shooting left one woman dead, identified as Lisa Lopez-Galvan, and 22 others wounded, 11 of whom were children. Both of the men were charged separately for second-degree murder, and this case is still ongoing.

Aaron Buschnell set himself on fire outside the Israeli embassy

In Washington DC, on February 25, a 25-year-old serviceman of the US Air Force, Aaron Bushnell, set himself on fire in protest in front of the Israeli embassy. In a video he took as he was preparing to set himself on fire, he stated, “I will no longer be complicit in a genocide.” He was also saying how his suffering was nothing compared to what the people in Palestine are going through. He then set his device down and recorded himself pouring a liquid all over him and lighting it on fire as he was yelling, “Free Palestine” continuously. He then lost consciousness, fell, and was left there till police officers came running with fire extinguishers to get rid of the fire.

Coup plot accusations against Bolsonaro in Brazil

On February 25th, former president of Brazil, Jair Bolsonaro, led a rally full of thousands of his supporters as he denied claims that he took part in an illegal and overt attempt by a military organization in an aim to keep his power. All of Bolsonaro’s followers were dressed in yellow and green to represent Brazil’s colors and to support their former president. Bolsonaro referred to the protest rally as a “defense of the democratic rule of the law,” which meant the rally was organized to support the principle of democracy of laws in Brazil. His lawyer in early February confirmed that the coup plot was to keep him in power and is facing a Brazilian Federal Police Investigation. Many people who worked in Bolsonaro’s government were investigated and some were arrested. This investigation is still ongoing so that authorities can gather more evidence and information to get to a conclusion.

Heavy rains in Death Valley 

Death Valley is located in California and is known for its extreme temperatures and arid climate, making it one of the driest and hottest places on Earth. But this February, there was continuous heavy rain for hours and days, resulting in a temporary lake forming in the middle of Death Valley. This was shocking news to many people because the last time a lake formed in Death Valley was 19 years ago. The lake is nearly 5 inches long and has become a tourist attraction to many because of how unusual it is to see a body of water in one of these types of climates. People are enjoying this salty lake by kayaking before the desert starts to heat up and evaporate all the water leaving people to question when this will happen again.