Crisis in Japan: Earthquake brings devastation

Evan Omana

The day January 1, 2024 marked the first day of 2024— a day in which many came together to celebrate the beginning of a new year. Unexpectedly, however, a 7.6 magnitude earthquake struck the western coastline in Ishikawa, Japan, which quickly put a halt to the celebration. A total of 213 people were killed and 26,000 people lost their homes due to the catastrophic destruction that was left. The Japanese have had the obligation to move into shelters and battle with the hardships of having enough food and clean water to survive this natural disaster. 

This powerful earthquake caused over 1,000 aftershocks that resulted in multiple tsunami advisories due to the location of Ishikawa being in the Sea of Japan Coast. Along with these alerts, came the physical destruction of roads and buildings that collapsed and left behind shattered ruins. Additionally, transport and communication services were disrupted causing the power outages of more than 14,000 homes. Sophomore Faizan Shah said, “Earthquakes have an egregious impact, especially in Japan where many of the buildings and structures are more rural. It’s also worrying to think about how Japan is mostly surrounded by water on its sides, so it could possibly lead to even worse outcomes”.

Japanese citizens whose homes have been destroyed or deemed unsafe have had no option but to move to schools or other makeshift facilities. Authorities have warned about the possible increase in infectious disease that might break out in the shelters that have people crammed inside. Another major concern being the shortage of food and water supplies that are being distributed among the many people. The conditions in these locations continue to worsen as people have to sleep on cold floors, amid cold temperatures and harsh winds. In an attempt to assist in these hardships, camping tents have been set up to accommodate hundreds of people, over a hundred hotels have volunteered to accept thousands of people from the damaged region, and classes have been moved to other campuses. 

The Japanese national government’s response, led by Prime Minister Fumio Kishida, including allotting $33 million dollars towards relief efforts.. This money will go toward providing food, water, blankets, and other provisions that people are in need of. Sophomore Kai Viau expresses, “No one wants to have an earthquake on the first day of the new year and with unfortunate deaths and injuries. The morale definitely started off low at the very start of the year. However, with the help of the government, motivation to assist the victims is found.”

This disastrous earthquake has left the community of Ishikawa amidst destruction and lack of essential amenities like transportation and communication. Although the many fatalities, injuries, and suffering from the crowded shelters, the people of Japan are coming together. With the money being provided by the government and the attempts of finding shelter for the needy, Japan is fighting to bring this quake-damaged region back on it’s feet to overcome this crisis.