Kisha Williams / Elite Realty

Enduring the horror: How Gaza’s teen reporters document life in a Warzone

Boaz St. Omer

Gaza, a small strip of land along the Mediterranean Sea, has been at the center of a decades-long conflict between Israel and Palestine. Since Israel declared war on Hamas in response to the latter’s attacks, the death toll of Gaza’s citizens has risen uncontrollably to over 12,000, with the majority being women and children, according to some reports. Amidst this chaos, some of Gaza’s youngest journalists, ages between 17 and 25, have taken it upon themselves to document this ongoing conflict via their digital creations. Their videos with millions of followers on Instagram showcase the true horror of life in a warzone and reveal the cost of the ongoing conflict. 

Gaza’s teen journalists often use Instagram to share their findings with the world. They make videos in both Arabic and English to reach a wider audience, showcasing the harsh realities of everyday life in Gaza’s warzone. Sophomore Sophia Alvarez takes a deep breath in thought as she says “It’s very inspirational that they are willing to risk their lives to tell the world about what’s happening.” Their documentation has played a crucial role in keeping the world informed about the ongoing conflict and its impact on civilian lives. “The phase of risking your life to show what’s happening is now over and the phase of trying to survive has started,” wrote Motaz Azaiza, a journalist born and raised in Gaza. 

Despite their contribution, these young journalists face numerous challenges, such as the danger they put themselves in while reporting from the frontline, lack of equipment, and limited resources. Nonetheless, they persevere, and their reports have had a wide reach. The 25-year-old journalist and filmmaker Bisan Owda struggles to keep composure as the world she was once able to recognize as home crumbles. Some of their works include firsthand accounts of bombing and rescue missions, highlighting the tireless efforts of paramedics who risk their lives daily to save those wounded in the airstrikes.

Previously, these journalists who are risking their lives to showcase a world of horror had an Instagram filled with life far from death. Now, their viewers can only check for updates, praying that they are still alive. 22-year-old Palestinian journalist, Plestia Alaqad, whose previously lively Instagram now focuses on the tragedies and moments of humanity amidst the conflict. These courageous young journalists put their lives on the line daily to shed light on the grim realities of life in Gaza’s war zone. Their documentation serves as a reminder of the human toll of the conflict and helps raise awareness about the challenges faced by those living amidst the chaos.

Overall, Gaza’s teen journalists risk their lives each day to uncover the harsh realities of life in a warzone. Their documentation plays a crucial role in enlightening the world about the grim situation Gaza civilians face. It is crucial to acknowledge the invaluable contribution of these young journalists in showcasing the human cost of the war. The work of Gaza’s teen journalists is vital to keep the world informed about the situation and the challenges faced by those on the ground.

Kisha Williams / Elite Realty