News Briefs #5: Updates in Trump’s trial and Debbie Wasserman’s Condemnation

Evan Omana

Debbie Wasserman Schultz criticizes pro-Palestine comments 

Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the U.S Representative for Florida’s 25th Congressional District, recently made remarks condemning House Rep. Rashida Tlaib for using a phrase in support of Palestine during its ongoing war with Israel. Representative Tlaib, the first Palestinian American woman to serve in Congress, recently took to social media to accuse President Joe Biden, who has expressed his support for Israel, of supporting a “genocide” of Palestinians, while she used the phrase “From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free.” (NBC) Rep. Wasserman Schultz then condemned Tlaib for her use of the phrase, which Schultz said means “eradicating Israel and Jews.” Many other House members also expressed their support for the Florida Representative’s message. 

Trump’s $250 million New York fraud case continues

Former President Trump’s legal team has officially requested a mistrial in the ongoing civil fraud trial taking place in New York. The court filing, which was submitted last Wednesday, argued that “the evidence of apparent and actual bias is tangible and overwhelming.” However, the bid for a mistrial was denied (CNN). Trump has repeatedly criticized the proceedings of the trial, along with the presiding judge, Arthur Engoron. The request for a mistrial came shortly after Trump was put under a gag order after he took to social media to attack the judge’s law clerk. He was then fined twice for violating the order (NPR)

Israel and Palestine war rages on

As the war between Israel and Palestine continues, almost 700 foreign nationals and Palestinian refugees have left the Gaza strip and have evacuated to Egypt through the Rafah Crossing on Saturday. Meanwhile, 50 trucks made their way into Gaza to deliver 127,000 liters of fuel for UN relief workers. The deliveries are a part of Israel’s new commitment for daily fuel shipments into Gaza (NPR). Furthermore, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stated that no deal has been reached in order to release the 237 hostages captured by Hamas during the October 7th attack (CNN). Additionally, senior Hamas official Osama Hamdan reported that the death toll in Gaza has reached 12,000. However, the Gaza Health Ministry said that an updated count could no longer be provided, due to the intensity of the fighting, along with repeated communication breakdowns.

Hockey Player Adam Johnson dies after fatal incident on the ice

Professional ice hockey player Adam Johnson, who played for the Nottingham Panthers, recently died after his neck was cut by a skate during a game against the Sheffield Steelers. Johnson, 29, immediately received medical treatment on the ice, and was transported to a nearby hospital, before he was unfortunately pronounced dead. Following his death, police officials announced that their suspect, former AHL player Matt Petgrave, was arrested on manslaughter charges. However, he has since been released on bail (CBS). Detectives stated that it was Petgrave’s skate that came up and made contact with Johnson’s neck during a collision. Following the incident, the English Hockey Association is now requiring all players to wear neck guards from the start of the 2024 season (ABC News).

Six people dead after bus crashes on Ohio highway

An Ohio community is in mourning after three high-school students, two parent chaperones, and a teacher were killed in a multivehicle crash that took place Tuesday morning. Students and chaperones were traveling to an Ohio School Boards Association conference in Columbus, when the bus collided with a semi trailer and two cars, in what local police described as a “chain-reaction crash.” Three of the vehicles burst into flames, as dozens of people involved were taken to a local hospital (FOX News). Authorities stated that the bus was carrying more than 50 people, including the driver, Donald Wagler, who was injured in the crash. A vigil was held for the victims on Tuesday night, as the cause of the crash is still under investigation.