The stars of Spirit Week

Day 1: Dynamic Duo 

As the most anticipated week of the year creeps up, students of Charter prepare themselves and their outfits to shine in the halls. October 30th commenced ‘Dynamic Duo’ day, giving the opportunity to match with your friends. However, it wasn’t only limited to students and their inner circles. Each building and the staff united to outshine their students at their own game. How so? The science department dressed as aliens and FBI agents, completely transforming the S building into a different galaxy. After bringing another universe to campus, students came dressed as characters from their favorite movies, characters, and celebrities. Each student brought their ‘A Game’ to Charter, but there were few that were easily spotted amongst the others. Students in inflatable Barney suits matched and strutted the halls, bringing laughter and flashing lights from peers filming them. As freshmans were just transitioning in, they were very intrigued by it. Freshman James Gayoso explains how “as a freshman, it was very funny and cool to me that administrators let them wear that. It definitely made my day.”

Day 2: Disney Day

Waves of nostalgia brings students back to their childhood core memories with the chance of students dressing up as their favorite Disney characters. Multiple Disney universes came together under this iconic day, showing students bring out their inner child. Amongst all these Stitch onesies and tutus was a long, sparkly yellow dress. Heads turned as a real life princess grazed the halls of Charter. Junior, Sophia Garcia paid tribute to Princess Belle as she wore her yellow quince dress to school. The root behind this spectacular costume is a mix of birthday and childhood memories. “Everytime someone would say something about the dress or ask where I got it, I would say it’s my quince dress. It made me think back to the day I got it and the day of my quince which were the 2 of the days I was happiest.” junior Sophia Garcia expresses recalling her heart warming inspiration.

Day 3: Celebrity Day 

Eyes were peeled as celebrities, artists, memes, and world wide known icons strutted through the halls of Charter. Sitting next to Lana Del Rey during her ‘Lust For Life’ era, Soulja Boy, or Britney Spears in your math class seems like a surreal experience that only Charter can bring to life. Bringing glamor and big household names to campus, personalities were shined upon through the costumes. Not only personalities, but close friendships and inspirations. Sophomores Miranda Vidal and Gabriella Duran took the chance of Celebrity Day and showed up with bald caps, suits, and a flag that had a certain Mr. 305’s face displayed all over. The clues of who they came inspired by are extremely obvious now; Pitbull! To really get into character, they even graced ‘A lunch’ with a performance of their own. “We planned a little bit ahead on what we would do but mostly made it up on the spot. We just thought it would be cute and fun to dance together in front of everyone to show our costumes and that we are best friends forever!” excitedly expresses Miranda Vidal and Gabriella Duran with smiles displayed on their faces.

Day 4: Fear the Paw

As the homecoming game is hours away, Charter comes together in order to prove their jaguar pride and hype for the upcoming win ahead of us. This calls for the annual fall pep rally. Students rush in to get their seats in their club shirts, quarter zips, or any school merch that shares the paw print that unites the students under one category: jaguars. With the limited dress code on this day which was to stay in spirit shirts and school bottoms, students experimented with paint and glitter to go above and beyond those limits. Maroon, white and black dots were displayed across student’s faces and handprints wrapped around the student’s thighs showing the school spirit in a different way than usual. Freshman Valentina Gorziglia painted dots on her face, showing her true Jaguar pride. “It just felt really refreshing to come to a school that has such fun events like these. So, I was super excited to show out!” 

Day 5: Senior Citizen Day

On this day, spirit week is coming to a light hearted close. As others will have the opportunity to experience these themes in the coming years, one grade would not have that same chance. As the seniors enjoy their last day of spirit week, they are dressing up as older versions of themselves as they are only a few months away from reaching their future in adulthood. But, yet again, there was one underclassman who channeled her inner old lady and rocked the hallways with her walker. Sophomore Emma Jane Hilton came in her attire of ‘old lady’ clothes, what she likes to call it, and walked around in her ‘old lady walk’; truly embodying and capturing the theme. “I had a bunch of fun walking through school dressed up as a senior citizen! It was also funny when I heard people talking about my costume and laughing as I walked past them.” Emma’s experience was truly her own as she blew everyone else out the water. “As long as we have a senior citizen day for spirit week, I plan to be the best old lady I can be!” cheerfully says Hilton. 

With that concludes the 2023 spirit week at Pines Charter. With costumes ranging from Pitbull, real life princesses, and old ladies with walkers, the diversity in personalities at our campus is at an all time high. These stars shined brightly last week and will continue as their names are engraved in the spirit week history books.