Old editors meet new writers—a C.H.A.T reunion

Editors-in-chief Maxine Martinez and Alan Mathew (’21) revisit the CHAT with words of journalistic wisdom
Audrey Goetz

Every school year, new writers enter the world of writing for the CHAT Newspaper. They get to showcase their writing for the school to see, tell an untold story, and inform their peers on issues that matter to them. However, alongside that excitement, came nervousness in this new environment. Thankfully, alumni Alan Mathew and Maxine Martinez, previous editors-in-chief for the class of 2021, have come back and offered plenty of helpful tips and tricks for oncoming members for the CHAT newspaper. 

Identify the Responsibilities

Being a part of the CHAT newspaper is unlike any other class in school. Primarily, Maxine said that this class is here “to provide a voice for PPCHS students,” while she adds that, “the responsibilities extend further than that of a regular class.” Overall, Alan states that this class concerns mainly the “writing, the quotes, the deadlines,” when writing your story. Responsibilities are key to understand, especially when bringing the news forth within the CHAT. 

Find the Topics you’re Passionate About 

Whether it’s the first year or a senior’s last in the newspaper, Maxine explains that it’s important to “pursue topics or ideas that you’re passionate about.” Adding on, it provides a proud-like feeling from the writer for their creative work, and will bring a new level of care to the writing itself. In the end, knowing the writer has given it all, brings in “a lot of satisfaction”. 

Explore all the Sections

Alan describes that as writers continue on exploring the selections the writer has access to, “you’ll have skills in multiple areas… you can learn things in other sections that help make your favorite section shine even brighter”. Navigating unique sections that may need additional assistance is the best way to find new places where writers are able to shine in. “‘Be more daring’” are the quoted words Maxine used to say that with any story ideas and whatever the writer’s style to not “be afraid to try other mediums.”

“You Can Start Anywhere”

In your mind there is an expectation that will be set for oneself, and whether it be big or small it becomes a tough feat to reach without disappointment. In the words of Alan, “just remember that you can start anywhere and [that] there’s a path to improvement.” In every corner, pieces of advice will conjure in the mind, and that it is always critical to start one step at a time. The starting point only brings in something more magical, giving “yourself opportunities to grow,” he says.

Angle Yourself

The title may be perplexing but think of it the way Alan describes it, “If you know you care about certain things and they feel far from you, try to mentally face yourself toward where you think you have to go.” Understand the goals that you may want to achieve, and ‘angle yourself’ towards those goals; remember that all writers have something that matters to them, and you do as well, so adjusting “your angle” towards that goal will make it spread even farther. 

Start Slow, and Climb High

With many staff opportunities it can become overwhelming at times, yet Maxine brought herself into this position by becoming business manager, and only skyrocketed from there. She says it’s important to “start with smaller positions and work your way up.”

However, besides the aforementioned tips, Alan and Maxine leave the upcoming journalists three simple but critical pieces of advice: Grow within yourself, build lasting connections, and never be afraid to ask for help. In Alan’s final words before exiting the CHAT, “just take care of yourself.”