BJs Restaurant

News briefs #1: Fiery tension in California and Trump’s arrest

Evan Omana

California Natural Disasters

In recent weeks several natural disasters have hit the state of California. Hurricane Hilary, a Category 1 storm, made landfall on August 20th, displacing thousands of California residents (Cal Matters). Not only this, but the city of Ojai was hit by a 5.1 magnitude earthquake within the same 24-hour window. The month of August also happens to be wildfire season in California, contributing to the risks residents face. The death toll for both events was fortunately minimal, however, the governor continued with declaring a state of emergency. Climate experts claim that extreme weather anomalies, like hurricanes appearing on the east coast, will become the new norm as climate change continues to progress. 

Hawaii Fires

After days of raging wildfires in Maui, the county and its residents have been left devastated since early August. The damage done was mainly caused by a two-in-one natural disaster resulting from the clashing of hurricane and wildfire season in Hawaii. In a matter of days, Hurricane Dora’s 130-mph winds helped fuel the breakout and rapid growth of a brush fire in the town of Lahaina. As the fires spread, Maui residents were trapped in jet-black smoke, loud explosions, and homes burnt down to ashes. As of now, the death toll from the ravaging fires stands at 115, although officials are still searching for numerous missing individuals. Many Hawaii-based organizations have opened up disaster relief drives and donation pages to aid Maui in its time of need (NBC).

Trump Arrest

Following Donald Trump’s several indictments for attempting to interfere in the 2020 election, the ex-president finally turned himself in to authorities and was booked into the Fulton County Jail in the state of Georgia. The felony charges include racketeering, tax fraud, and 32 others. He was immediately released from holding after his 200,000 dollar bond was paid. However, this was not until his mugshot was taken, which after being released to the public quickly became viral. The majority of Donald Trump’s staff, most of whom were with him during his time in the White House, were also booked on several criminal charges (NBC).