Kisha Williams / Elite Realty

News Briefs #7: Extreme weather spreads in the U.S & Chris Christie’s suspension

Evan Omana

Attack on Judge:

On January third, a thirty year old male jumped onto a Nevada county judge. Deobra Redden (the thirty year old male), pounced onto county judge, Mary Kay Holthus, during a trial assessing several of Redden’s previous allegations. Before the assault, Redden was previously accused of battery on a protected person, extortion by threat, and the intimidation of a public officer. That Sunday when Holthus was attacked, the judge was immediately escorted to the hospital. Holthus recovered briefly and appeared in court the following day to decide what would come of Redden.

Redden, who was now charged with attempted murder, was sentenced to exactly four years in prison. 

Extreme weather across the US:

Citizens of the United States have witnessed a variety of changes in weather conditions recently. The Americans living in the West coast suffered through a belligerent snowstorm, caused by intense snowfall felt previously in Ohio. In Washington, snow and heavy fog was overwhelming, causing numerous cancellations of school and work, along with more than eighty estimated cancellations in flight. In Colorado, the snowstorm was so harsh that within three days, ten cars were submerged in snow.On the east coast, states received a noticeable cold front. Those in Florida received a refreshing winter week, in heavy contrast to Georgia, which received temperatures plummeting below freezing weather. 

Chris Christie dropping out of race: 

The former governor of New Jersey, Chris Christie dropped out of the electoral race. On January 10th, (during a town hall event in New Hampshire), Christie announced his resignation. He stated “I would rather lose by telling the truth than lie in order to win,”. Christie was previously known as one of former president Donald Trump’s endorsers during the 2016 election, but became a critic of him in the following years. He based the entirety of his campaign around the potential loss of the former president. Consequently, Christie found difficulty campaigning amongst other candidates still in the race, resigning from the election that day. 

South Africa Accuses Israel of Genocide in UN:

On January 11th, South Africa accused Israel of genocide. In the international court of justice, the attorneys representing South Africa implicated that Israel’s military campaign is a breach of obligations under the UN (which the country signed onto in 1949). They proceeded to claim that the country has violated the 1948 Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, which was drawn up in the aftermath of World War II and the Holocaust. The attorneys urged Israel to stop the war at once. In doing so the United Nations has begun a case, further investigating other claims of Israel that have remained unsolved.

Kisha Williams / Elite Realty