Salon 184

The final goodbye: A review of The Crown Season 6

Makenna Angeletos

The time has come to say goodbye to the beloved series The Crown. After six successful, Emmy-winning seasons, the show ended with a powerful, endearing season for viewers. With many highly anticipated events shown this season, like the death of Princess Diana and the love story between Prince William and Catherine (Kate) Middleton, the finale of The Crown leaves viewers with an honorable ending, including a final goodbye and homage to the late Queen Elizabeth II.

While the past five seasons of The Crown were mainly focused on Queen Elizabeth II, part one of season six centered on Diana, Princess of Wales, while part two of season six focused on Prince William, then Kate Middleton. In the opening scene of episode one, viewers were brought back to August 31, 1997, the day Diana, Princess of Wales died. Before Diana’s tragic death, the show goes into remarkable detail on what her last couple of months were like before her untimely death. The show also gives an inside look at the true hardships of Camilla and Charles. 

In Part two of The Crown, the show follows William as he copes with the death of his mother, while also having to go back to school. William’s rough, but exciting time in St. Andrews University is also highlighted, while the love story of Kate Middleton and Prince William unfolds simultaneously.

Personally, I think this season was well-done, but could have been better with different casting choices. With the many emotional scenes and the return of the two other actresses who play Queen Elizabeth II– Claire Foy in seasons one and two, and Olivia Coleman in seasons three and four, the directors and producers of the show constructed a beautiful, well-made ending to the show. Especially considering the setback that the series had to endure, the Queen passing away in 2022 while production was taking place, the show did incredibly well. However, with the addition of grown up versions of Harry, William, and Kate, the show could have made a better attempt to cast actors who actually looked like the people they portrayed.

I was also surprised Diana’s ghost was introduced to talk with the Queen and Charles, as that may be strange to viewers, but it added a sense of closure to many fans. The elements of surprise in the show were also a nice touch.

As the show ends, Queen Elizabeth is shown walking to her coffin, with her younger and middle-aged selves behind her in all black to represent how she maintained her role as Queen for as long as she lived, even in eternity. The show concludes with her in all white, signifying purity, walking through a long hall and into the light, finally at peace.

Salon 184